How it's made: Vacuum tubes
Dec 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Trae

500+ Head-Fier

I just saw this on How It's Made, and I thought I'd share it with you guys. Pretty neat. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 20
Nice find. Very interesting!

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 20
Nice!

Those tubes are enormous though!!

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 20
Wow those tubes are literally enormous

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 20
That's quite a job. Makes me appreciate tube amps even more. = )

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 20
... that was awesome...

and what a fantastic CRAFT! I mean Almost purely all hand made... and I love that they "pair" tubes together! I love how  involved people are to the process of tubes! A ss is made my machine, but MAN makes the Tube ;3

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 20
Pairing tubes helps, especially in A/B and class B operations. Matching improves sonic accuracy.

I had no idea there was so much hands on glass work. No wonder these things can be mass manufactured by machines.

It is ancient when you consider that tube technology came around the turn of the 20th century. Although improvements to design of tubes and tube circuits still continues in the audio world.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 20
After looking on the kr-audio website, I was upset that the amps with those tubes have 3% of THD !

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 20
Tubes have much higher THD specs over their transistor counterparts. The trick is in the H - harmonic.

Tubes generally produce even harmonic distortion that is usually more pleasing to our ears. This distortion is what gives the "tube" sound.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Tubes have much higher THD specs over their transistor counterparts. The trick is in the H - harmonic.
Tubes generally produce even harmonic distortion that is usually more pleasing to our ears. This distortion is what gives the "tube" sound.

Yep but look at that old mcintosh 275 who has 0.5% of THD, the difference is huge, I don't see the point of getting a 16K amp to have so much distortion, even if it's euphonic, you can add distortion or "tube sound" yourself.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

When you compare ONE triode tube to ONE Bipolar Junction Transistor, actually the tube is MORE linear.

Solid state line level amps may have 30 transistors and a lot of feedback, an "equivalent" line level tube amp may have two triodes and very little feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back