How is YUIN G2A's bass quality?
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jerg

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy.

Really needed something else portable to get over the unlucky streak I've had with KSC-75's (every single pair had bad distortions at semi-high volumes), and HF convinced me to order some Yuin G2As.

Just wondering though, how might one rate G2A's lower end SQ? Is it punchy? How does it compare in strength and tightness to KSC75? So far from all the threads here I've skimmed through, I know G2A's bass is definitely weaker than PortaPro's (of course...), but I need a reference point in comparison with what I have at hand right now - Koss KSC75's.

(P.S. #2: I actually have the KSC75 modded onto a Portapro headband, which boosts its bass quite significantly; no matter since everyone says Yuin and Koss Ksc/PPro all have the same clip/headband connector so it'd be great to just get any opinion toward comparison bt clipped G2A vs clipped KSC75)

Thanks!

P.S. are there any good SQ-boosting mods on G2A other than headphone band mod?

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I have KSC75, PortaPro and G2a.  I personally like the G2a the best.  The clarity and balance is much better and the bass is less bloated than the PortaPro.  G2a also has better bass quantity and punch than the KSC75.  I've also recabled all 3 with good quality oxygen free copper wire.  

IMO I don't think the headband changes the SQ but I guess that depends on your fit. I use the clips off the KSC75 on the G2a since you can bend them into the right position.  I've tried other mods like the different Kramer Mods and different density pads. Other than the cable replacement I've found its best to leave the G2a alone.  They think do need some burn in time to shine, but burn in is always a debatable subject in itself. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I have KSC75, PortaPro and G2a.  I personally like the G2a the best.  The clarity and balance is much better and the bass is less bloated than the PortaPro.  G2a also has better bass quantity and punch than the KSC75.  I've also recabled all 3 with good quality oxygen free copper wire.  

IMO I don't think the headband changes the SQ but I guess that depends on your fit. I use the clips off the KSC75 on the G2a since you can bend them into the right position.  I've tried other mods like the different Kramer Mods and different density pads. Other than the cable replacement I've found its best to leave the G2a alone.  They think do need some burn in time to shine, but burn in is always a debatable subject in itself. 

Thanks for the insight! How well does the treble of G2A do compared to the KSC75? The Koss has that sparkle in the highs which really shines when listening to string instruments.

And I see (about the mods). So mods such as Kramer grill mod, quarter mod, and all that I should avoid with the Yuin? Or do they just improve the SQ so little that I shouldn't bother risking it?

I'll definitely be leaving it for a nice long burn-in once the purchase arrives
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Highs and mids on the G2a are much better than the KSC75 IMO.  I've found the mods actually hurt the SQ on the G2a.  

I remember there is an old thread that compares all of these plus a bunch more of these portable open ear type headphones.  It was quite extensive and a spot on review of these.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Highs and mids on the G2a are much better than the KSC75 IMO.  I've found the mods actually hurt the SQ on the G2a.  

I remember there is an old thread that compares all of these plus a bunch more of these portable open ear type headphones.  It was quite extensive and a spot on review of these.

Interesting. How did you get your G2A back to factory condition after modding it to dissatisfaction?

Yeah I'm 90% sure I've read a thread like that already, just needed specific details regarding the comparison between these two which was not present in any of my searches. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Interesting. How did you get your G2A back to factory condition after modding it to dissatisfaction?

The Kramer mod is done on the removable plate in front of the driver.  The G2A plate is interchangeable with the PortaPro/KSC75.  I took a modded plates that I had from experimenting on KSCs to hear the differences on the G2A.  The G2A also has felt glued onto the front of the plate which also affect the sound if removed.  

Basically the G2A is perfect the way it is.  The only mod that enhanced the overall sound was the higher quality recable. 

FYI. The Koss SportaPro are the same drivers as the PortaPro (and the old KSC35). You can pop the drivers out of the SportaPro and use them with the KSC75 clips. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Just got the G2A from the post office.

Initial out-of-the-box listening impression: SIBILANCE!!! Lots of it. :S

My modded Ksc75s sound soooo much smoother and easier.

It has better go away over the burn-in....otherwise that's $60 spent on a worse sound than what I had for $20.

Edit: I like the clips on these though, they are actually more comfy than the Koss ones.

Also the bass is....adequate. At least it doesn't distort like hell on high volumes.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Alright, here's some impressions after ~75 hours of burning in, as well as some extensive modding, on the G2As. And they're all good impressions.

Actually before that, lemme explain the mods I did. I've had this PortaPro headband from a friend since forever, and really wanted to mod G2As onto it when I bought those Yuins. Had to file down a pair of plastic protrusions around the two speaker-locks of the headband, and then the G2As fit in nicely. Then I did a foam mod; I "dime"-modded a pair of the stock foams, then used a pair of the PortaPro foams (thin, soft, and slightly larger than the G2A foams), and wrapped them over the G2A foams, so it's now a double-layer thicker "hybrid" foam with a very thin centre - great for bass impact, comfort, but at zero loss of details since the centre is still thin.

I also got batteries for the FiiO E3 amps which came free with the Yuins today. Tried it with that, and immediately noted that the FiiO enhances the sound more and warms it up, and I actually tested some ultra-low frequencies (20 hz, 15 hz, 10 hz, and 5 hz) on the G2A connected to the FiiO, it actually plays out all those frequencies accurately, even though its specs say it only goes down to 20 hz! The Amp really brings out the hidden bass potential here.

I think the drastic change in sound quality is probably 95% because of the modding and amping haha, and 5% because of the burning-in and/or my auditory system adjusting to this new sound signature.

edit: Oh and forgot to mention, the E3 amp pretty much removes ALL the vocal rattling/echoing of bass heavy songs at high volumes, which is great since I'm really damn sensitive to that specific SQ distortion with all the defective KSC75s I've come across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back