How is Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?
Jun 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #181 of 440
Yeah, I saw that thread and realized that their website has the Paypal button to buy. I already sent them an email asking about the stock, hopefully I'll receive some good news. If not, I might end up with TKD stepped attenuator.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #182 of 440

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that thread and realized that their website has the Paypal button to buy. I already sent them an email asking about the stock, hopefully I'll receive some good news. If not, I might end up with TKD stepped attenuator.

I've tried contacting them in the past and they weren't answering emails either.  Hopefully,you'll be more successful.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #183 of 440
I'm a little confused, and perhaps somebody can help me out a bit. I'm trying to plan out a new setup for my office, and so far it's looking like Computer --> DACmagic --> Attenuator --> Active Monitors.

If the connection between the DACmagic and the monitors is balanced, I would need a balanced attenuator. Does this mean I would need two separate controls? Would I be looking to buy a stereo pot from Khozmo?
They look great and I'd love to design a little case with balanced ins/outs.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #187 of 440

Quote:
You in the shunted camp ehhh?

Yepp. The difficulties of keeping the phases equally opposite with a 4-deck pot bother me. I guess these problems become much easier to solve with steppers but eeh. I also like that I can get quality 2 deck pots at the drop of a hat, they take up half as much room, and I prefer the way a shunted 2-deck pot works when providing an SE signal to a differential pair.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #190 of 440
With the ladder type, no matter what position you have the knob in, the signal is only going through a few resistors. 

With other types, more attenuation = more resistors, which to purists means the signal is more mucked up at lower volumes.  Or at least the sound will be inconsistent from position to position.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #191 of 440
Jun 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #194 of 440
Sorry - there's one thing I forgot to ask. How do I know what resistance I'll need? I'll be running this between a DacMagic and a pair of powered Mackie MR8 monitors.
I've read that solid state audio usually requires between 50-100k. Is this true?
I've also read that 10k is a common value.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #195 of 440

Quote:
Sorry - there's one thing I forgot to ask. How do I know what resistance I'll need? I'll be running this between a DacMagic and a pair of powered Mackie MR8 monitors.
I've read that solid state audio usually requires between 50-100k. Is this true?
I've also read that 10k is a common value.

10k, 50k, and 100k are all common values.  As the resistance gets higher, noise becomes more of a concern.  This might apply especially to you if you're using one as a passive volume control.  On the other hand, lower values place higher loads on the DAC and the amp/active monitors have a capacitor on the input, the bass could suffer depending.  All in all any value will probably be fine and 50k is a good middle ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back