How is Khozmo Stepped Attenuators?
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #136 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes perfect sense if you're looking at the ground leg deck of the attenuator at the full-attenuation end.

A ladder attenuator with 2dB steps starting at -60dB would have 15 or so resistors on the ground leg side that are equal to the nominal attenuator impedance. The photo has 10 visible resistor markings.

Example: I have one of the old 23-position Elna ladder attenuator switches. If I made a 100K attenuator, the ground leg resistor for -60dB, -55dB, -50dB, -45dB, and -40dB would all be 100K resistors. The signal legs would be, respectively, 100 ohm, 180 ohm, 340 ohm, 560 ohm, and 1000 ohm. Yes, ideally the -40dB step would actually be 1000 ohm / 99K, but there is no 99K resistor in typical product lines. The closest value is still 100K. Next closest is 97.6K.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're describing here, but it's certainly not a 100k ladder attenuator.

A ladder attenuator works just like a regular "series" attenuator except the series and shunt portions are split up into two switches, with one switch handling the series resistance and the other the shunt resistance.

The total of each pair of resistors equals the total resistance of the attenuator, which in the case of a 100k attenuator would be 100k. So at the midpoint of attenuation (-6dB), each resistor would be 50k.

The resistors in the ground leg deck at the full attenuation end would be approaching zero ohms, and would not be anywhere close to the attenuator's value.

Edit: Perhaps you mean the series deck at near full attenuation?

k

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #137 of 440
To note as well on that picture is that there is no land pattern to solder those resistors down or by the looks of it any solder for that matter.

And those resistors are:
Quote:

Resistors: 1% 100ppm , 1/10W, low noise, non-inductive, metal film

I'd like to find some SMD metal films that are not MELF format. 1% 100ppm are likely thick film unless I've missed something in my searching at Mouser and Digikey.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #138 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure exactly what it is you're describing here, but it's certainly not a 100k ladder attenuator.

A ladder attenuator works just like a regular "series" attenuator except the series and shunt portions are split up into two switches, with one switch handling the series resistance and the other the shunt resistance.

The total of each pair of resistors equals the total resistance of the attenuator, which in the case of a 100k attenuator would be 100k. So at the midpoint of attenuation (-6dB), each resistor would be 50k.

The resistors in the ground leg deck at the full attenuation end would be approaching zero ohms, and would not be anywhere close to the attenuator's value.

Edit: Perhaps you mean the series deck at near full attenuation?

k

Sorry, I mistyped. I had the signal and ground leg resistors swapped. Yes, that would be the signal deck rather than the ground deck. Regardless, you could easily take a photo of ten 100k resistors right next to each other in such an attenuator. I'm not going to do the math to fill in the steps, but the 5dB steps for a 23 position attenuator are below. -40dB with 2dB steps would still be 100k/1k, the nine values replacing the three listed in between -60dB and -40dB would just be spaced differently. I am going to correct my previous post to prevent confusion.

-60dB: 100k/100
-55dB: 100k/180
-50dB: 100k/340
-45dB: 100k/560
-40dB: 100k/1k

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #139 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I mistyped. I had the signal and ground leg resistors swapped. Yes, that would be the signal deck rather than the ground deck. Regardless, you could easily take a photo of ten 100k resistors right next to each other in such an attenuator. I'm not going to do the math to fill in the steps, but the 5dB steps for a 23 position attenuator are below. -40dB with 2dB steps would still be 100k/1k, the nine values replacing the three listed in between -60dB and -40dB would just be spaced differently. I am going to correct my previous post to prevent confusion.

Ah, ok.

And of course this was supposed to have been what, a 40 position pot? So you'd have to slice things up even thinner and given standard resistor values, a lot more 100k resistors.

k

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #140 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, ok.

And of course this was supposed to have been what, a 40 position pot? So you'd have to slice things up even thinner and given standard resistor values, a lot more 100k resistors.

k

The website said 2db/step for the first 11 (most attenuation) steps.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #141 of 440
I'll try sending another message to make sure that my previous attempts were not filtered or lost. At this point I'm just happy that I haven't paid for anything yet.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #142 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try sending another message to make sure that my previous attempts were not filtered or lost. At this point I'm just happy that I haven't paid for anything yet.

Since on the previous page 32y0 got a reply, perhaps he can send a question about why you(Nate) are not being replied to? He could point out the poisoning that is going on with his product line. Perhaps give him the last benefit of doubt, like maybe you're hitting his spam folder or something.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #143 of 440
he is hurting his business atleast from this site. though the pic he got in email is NOT tempting as the original ones.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #144 of 440
problem is that their website still shows the 'sexy' design and no PP option, in email they're butt ugly things with PP option?

I'm not touching this with a bargepole until they get their **** together and show what, if anything, is for sale and how. What started as very exciting is now looking very 'bait and switch' using, at best, not what was promised, and at worst, vaporware. Just a little too shady for me.

Glad PP canceled my order and refunded me.

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #145 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
problem is that their website still shows the 'sexy' design and no PP option, in email they're butt ugly things with PP option?

I'm not touching this with a bargepole until they get their **** together and show what, if anything, is for sale and how. What started as very exciting is now looking very 'bait and switch' using, at best, not what was promised, and at worst, vaporware. Just a little too shady for me.

Glad PP canceled my order and refunded me.

Boy those original PIX, Price, and Specs were enticing though weren't they? Damn shame, it would be an even bigger disappointment if the guy really had this product and was a screw-up at doing business.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #146 of 440
Well that's what I'm waiting for. I'll give them the benefit but they really need to post an update on their site letting us know what, if anything, is happening at this point. Even if only to mitigate the damage already done to their reputation.

Not doing so leads to threads like this where they are now being seen as a shady operation. Not good for them or us.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #147 of 440
I asked him if he was allready shipping and why people didn't receive his attenuators yet and this was his reply:

Hi

Yes, I allready shipp but only the RN55-Dale version. I had some problems to assemble the SMD version and I will no more produce it temporary. I have also some good feedbacks on ebay eBay Feedback Profile for arekkallas or audiogon.

This week I will take new photos of the Dale-Version.

Best regards
Arek Kallas
High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #148 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked him if he was allready shipping and why people didn't receive his attenuators yet and this was his reply:

Hi

Yes, I allready shipp but only the RN55-Dale version. I had some problems to assemble the SMD version and I will no more produce it temporary. I have also some good feedbacks on ebay eBay Feedback Profile for arekkallas or audiogon.

This week I will take new photos of the Dale-Version.

Best regards
Arek Kallas
High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators

Hmmm, he has only had two sales of anything ever on Ebay. They were two of his POTs. All his other feedback is as a buyer. So overall as a seller if you factor in the negatives for the 20+ he was supposed to sell here, he's way in the rears on his feedback. If that email is the extent of his explanation, and his idea of customer support is to stop communication when he runs into problems, I would say stick a fork in him. Smells like he's done. I'll take a few if he sends them out on condition of acceptance.

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #149 of 440
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to find some SMD metal films that are not MELF format. 1% 100ppm are likely thick film unless I've missed something in my searching at Mouser and Digikey.

Susumu at Digikey?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back