How is everyone connecting their Computer to their DAC?
Jan 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #32 of 48
I connect to my DAC1 via optical. This prevents any kind of ground loop or anything electrically weird (some USB conenctions to DACs I've used would occasionally send a slight buzz noise whenever I would move my PC mouse, for example).   

Doing a casual test between optical, usb and coaxial, I never noticed a sound quality difference, but optical seems to prevent any weird electrical anomalies from the PC that could be affecting the end-result sound.

Also, 

I have been told USB does not have the problems with something called jitter the way SPDIF does

The jitter from an optical cable is higher than USB, sure, but in any decent modern sound system it is still far too small to be heard. Most of the jitter stuff is going to be about the clock in the DAC that is receiving the signal, anyway. If you have a good DAC, it will be able to take a jittery signal and make it totally OK. For example, my DAC1's manual dedicates a whole page describing their clock implementation and how it handles and mitigates jitter. And by mitigate, I really mean mitigate -- it might be better word choice to say eliminate. We're talking levels so low that you'd have to be supernatural (ears and brain akin to an Audio Precision Analyzer) to be concerned by it.  

After reading dozens of articles and forum discussions about jitter, I am on the position that jitter is not an issue in a well-setup, modern system, regardless of interconnects used. It is still in the contemporary audiophile vocabulary, though, so you'll still see high-end DACs marketing about how they prevent jitter -- but this kind of stuff is like how HDMI cable manufacturers advertise their methods of data loss prevention - it's almost always just stuff that's built into the standard spec of everything these days, just dressed up with more words to try to make it a selling point of a product.

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 48
Hi,

Originally Posted by bedlam inside 

I don't like being told porkies. Maybe I'll e-mail iFi, see what they say...

Okay, so I did e-mail Vince at iFi. He replied quickly.

Here is what he had to say:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your kind enquiry and your recent purchasing of a set of iFi units.

To answer your question:

"Most USB inputs convert USB to S/PDIF internally anyway. "

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645638/how-is-everyone-connecting-their-computer-to-their-dac/15#post_9057887

I remember you telling me about how bad SPDIF was. How is this done in my iDac? Are just doing USB to SPDIF?

We can confirm that iFi (using licensed technology from AMR) starts off with an Asynchronous USB connection. SPDIF is not used internally, but instead clocks and data are send separately to the dac chip.

The iDAC  then adds JitterLess Lite which further reduces the jitter to negligible levels. Suffice to say, the asynchronous USB transmission design in the iDAC is second-to-none in terms of jitter. The iDAC has Jitter so low it cannot be measured!

SPDIF is an analogue transmission standard devised for Betamax digital audio transfers!

If you have the time, you may wish to take a look at this: 

http://amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_tech-papers_spdif.html

It has only been adopted to carry a digital signal and was never great for the job, just as composite video connections are not good for high quality video.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards

Vincent Luke - Markets
ifi-audio.com

So iFi does not convert to SPDIF, though bugger me if I understand any of the rest. 

They do seem to say "our gadget is the dogs bollocks and all else is pant's", well, they would, innit?

Cheers Rich

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #34 of 48
I have a Meier Audio StageDAC and I connect to it as follows:

Sugden CD Player - Coaxial
Mac Pro - Toslink
MacBook Pro - USB

All cables used are good quality budget ones, no magical cables are used.

I don't think there is any significant differences in the sound quality of the three different ways to connect and in fact I have chosen them for completely practical reasons.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 48
I connect my pc through USB with my Antelope Audio Zodiac + DAC. Since I am looking around for upgrading the sound I get through usb, I stumbled up on the well known SOtM USB-card. I was initially looking to buy this card second hand, because it is quit expensive. On my pc I use JPlay to play the music files. It was on their forum that I start reeding raving revieuws about PPAstudio sata and usb-cables. I also saw that they came with a USB card, and states that it is better then the SOtM cards. Because of the good revies of their cables and the low price of the card compared to the SOtM (80 euro's against 300) I thought I will give it a try. So I just ordered the card. Can't wait to try it....

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #36 of 48
Dell XPS -> USB -> HiFace -> Coax -> Reference 10.32
Dell XPS -> USB -> Reference 10.32 (TCXO)

But prefer the former one, sounds slightly better to my ears.

It was the same with Audio GD DAC19MK3 - SPDIF for the best SQ, then USB and Optical.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #37 of 48
The whole USB connection thing is pretty complex. The more I read about it the more complex it gets. Though it shouldn't make any difference, I rigged up my iPad with my Audiophilleo 1 and it sounded different to when I used my computer. Go figure!  There seem to be many ways to implement digital input inside a DAC that, try as we might, what we think will be good or will or wont matter will only really be taking pot-shots at getting the best out of things. It does seem like the USB input of some newer DACs though is far better than the ones of old. 

Anyhow, I've gone back to the USB input of my DAC because it IS an attempt by the manufacturer to get the best result possible (using custom firmware with everything switched off but I2S output) and the result is excellent.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 48
I use an Audioquest Diamond toslink to connect my Wadia transport and Burson Conductor. I heard there were some issues with USB connection for the Conductor but I haven't tested it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #40 of 48
USB from computer to X-FI HD for conversion to optical S/PDIF, S/PDIF to pre/pro's DAC.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #41 of 48
I run a USB cable from both my desktop or my laptop to the gamma-2 DAC without any issues.  No ferrite core on the cable either, just an inexpensive one from Monoprice.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #43 of 48
  Try going to Devices and Printers under Control Panel, and look for the device under Unspecified and go to properties and try updating the drivers.  Or try reinstalling with DX90 connected.  

You can ask questions here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/697035/ibasso-dx90-dual-sabre-1st-page-to-reformat-latest-fw-download-general-information/7785#post_10805111

the DX90 is showing as a connected device.. but not under sound options... i've emailed Ibasso.. crazy this complicated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back