How important is graduation honors?
May 1, 2009 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm going to transfer to University from local community college. The Univ required me to take at least 60cr to be eligible for graduation honors. Honestly, I try to take as many as possible in community college since it's much cheaper and easier.
Will it make a big difference when you're looking for your first job if
a) graduated with 3.8 GPA with no honors
vs
b) graduated with 3.8 GPA with cum laude or magna cumlaude in your degree

I do have work experience with a quite respectable institution in my field of study (6 years worth) which should help me in my search for job when I finish my study

May 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 21
I would guess that what might happen in your case is that your credits (at least most of them, if you're lucky or write enough petitions) will transfer to the university, but they won't count towards your GPA. That's what happened to me when I transferred from one university to another. In "real life" job application situations, I haven't ever seen graduation with honors/distinction playing a very significant role. What will be important, I think, is that you make very sure you keep track of all your transcripts and other academic records, so that at least you'll be able to truthfully and accurately state what your overall GPA was upon graduation, not just the GPA associated with the work you completed at the university issuing the degree.

May 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, I'm going to transfer to University from local community college. The Univ required me to take at least 60cr to be eligible for graduation honors. Honestly, I try to take as many as possible in community college since it's much cheaper and easier.
Will it make a big difference when you're looking for your first job if
a) graduated with 3.8 GPA with no honors
vs
b) graduated with 3.8 GPA with cum laude or magna cumlaude in your degree

I do have work experience with a quite respectable institution in my field of study (6 years worth) which should help me in my search for job when I finish my study

Generally 3.8 is good enough without any Latin honor. what's your major? is whatever profession you are trying to enter prestige conscious? Is the university to which you are transferring already prestigious?

May 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 21
Employers will respond the same way regardles if they see "3.8" or "3.8 magna cumlaude". Don't worry about not getting the respect you deserve either, the 6 yrs experience will likely speak the loudest to employers. They tend to value experience more than anything else.

May 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 21
Your work experience means a whole lot more than anything else. That's what will be noticed on your resume.

I graduated from undergrad in 1993. I've been on plenty of interviews since and cannot remember the last time anyone wanted to know my GPA, etc. They jus want to know about your degree and your experience.

I've seen a few firms want to know your law school ranking, but those people tend to be the ones who graduated in the top 10% of their classes and want to hire the same. That's OK. But that also means that 90% of employers don't care, which I've found to be the case. For the record, I was in the top 50%.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I had a much better time than those in the top 10% and I don't think I miss anything by not working for people who were in the top 10%.

You're not goin to remember the extra hours you spent studying or classes taken. But ou are going to remember the fun you had with your friends and stuff you did.

May 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 21
Graduating with honors definitely can't hurt, but I wouldn't worry about it. This coming from a 3.47 bio major (damn 3.5 cutoff...but that would mean I'd have to do a research thesis.)

May 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not goin to remember the extra hours you spent studying or classes taken. But ou are going to remember the fun you had with your friends and stuff you did.

Amen Uncle Erik!

May 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 21
Thank's for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally 3.8 is good enough without any Latin honor. what's your major? is whatever profession you are trying to enter prestige conscious? Is the university to which you are transferring already prestigious?

Hi chesebert, I'm taking accounting and will go to temple univ. I choose them since their tuitition is cheaper and they accept a lot of credit transfer from my community college. I'm shooting to work for the Big 4 when I finish my study. I'm just wondered whether the graduation honors really worth getting for. I might need to take another 9-12 cr to qualify for it.

May 1, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Hi chesebert, I'm taking accounting and will go to temple univ. I choose them since their tuitition is cheaper and they accept a lot of credit transfer from my community college. I'm shooting to work for the Big 4 when I finish my study. I'm just wondered whether the graduation honors really worth getting for. I might need to take another 9-12 cr to qualify for it.

in your case, no.

GL

May 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Snip... You're not goin to remember the extra hours you spent studying or classes taken. But ou are going to remember the fun you had with your friends and stuff you did.

Someone give Uncle Erick a long overdue custom title. Almighty Advice Giver? or maybe Sagacious Supremus?

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone give Uncle Erick a long overdue custom title. Almighty Advice Giver? or maybe Sagacious Supremus?

x2. He sure knows his stuff....granted he is in the business of helping others
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

If you want to work for one of the Big 4 the most important thing you can do when you get to Temple is join the student accounting group/society/whatever and go to ALL of the big firm recruiting events. I'm talking all the dumb monte carlo nights, scavenger hunts, and all the other lame things they come up with to get to know the students. Getting to know the people at the firm, in particular the manager level and above, is most important. If they like you then you will be more likely to get an offer, even with a mediocre grade point.

May 5, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 21
Didn't some of the firms who had the company accounting outsourced out to the big 4 have accounting issues??? Anyhow i have some friends who are CPA's and they are self employed, they have made pretty awesome life's for themselves. Good luck putting in all those hours, be willing to travel and live in a different country. Best and fastest way to climb the "ladder"......

May 6, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 21
In my experience here, an hours degree is nice to have, but really doesn't benefit you that much unless you plan on taking a masters/doctors later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back