How important is a Headphone Amp
Apr 29, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #16 of 19
I'm pretty sure some dudes would come and say "volume match", "blind test", "placebo", blah blah blah to put you and your observation down.

Your confusion is somewhat a problem of the Internet where so many pseudo-intellectuals going around bullying people in these audio forums that people don't even dare to believe what they hear. One amp is stronger than the other, and because everything has been kept the same, then it is simply because the amp is stronger. Why do one has to justify "maybe connector or DAC problem"? It's the amp.

For the "volume match" folks, since matching volume is a nightmare to do without proper tools, let just boost the volume of the worse-sounding audio chain to be noticeably louder and see if it is better than the other chain.

Even with IEMs, there are noticeable differences. You can see my quoted discussion on another thread for some details.
Oh my apologies, they were both dac/amp combos, so it very well could be a different dac. Maybe the same though as theyre just slightly different models from the same company. xd-05 basic and plus

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #17 of 19
Oh my apologies, they were both dac/amp combos, so it very well could be a different dac. Maybe the same though as theyre just slightly different models from the same company. xd-05 basic and plus

No need to apologies! All I was saying is you can/should trust what you hear, every part of the chain contributes to the sound (and one would notice if they pay enough attention), and the amp very likely contributes to the difference that you heard.

Enjoy the hobby, mate! It’s going to be fun.

May 4, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 19
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 19
I used to believe that “if I can hear the sound, I don‘t need any amp or DAC.” Of course I learned that from “famous influencers” and I went around and parroting to people like an “expert.

Nowadays, this is my latest setup:
EF41AE87-6A89-4EE9-9098-93819A8035E6.jpeg

Here, I use the DAC side from one device with the amp side from another device. All of this for a measly little IEM. Why? because it sounds darn good. The frequency response might not change, but the sharpness of attack of the notes, especially the the bass, is very noticeable. Everything is just more dynamic and snappy.

My advice: grab a good source (DAC+amp) if you are going down the rabbit hole. Your future self would thank you.

If you can audition, have a look at FiiO Q7 and Shanling H7 as well. But the G5 (in photo) is also a very solid piece of kit at a good price. I reviewed it previously here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/topping-g5.26030/review/29798/

I personally consider the Q7 because it has playback buttons on the side, and it can be used without battery, so I can use it as a desktop device as well.
I found myself in a similar situation. One of my biggest mistakes in this game was disregarding the advantages of a good amplifier.

I have a Topping G5 too, once I acquired my G5, I've never thought about letting go of my G5, it's a gem! The quality it offers for the price is absolutely superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back