How important are aesthetics?
Mar 18, 2007 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
By aesthetics I'm talking about condition..

I think that it's not too uncommon for woody headphones to be scratched/nicked or some headphones such as Grados to have their lettering wear out.

I've noticed a tiny (smaller than a .) speck of shiny metal on the otherwise dark-steel finish of my ES7 that I can't seem to wipe out with the supplied cleaning cloth, and it's really bugging me..

Do acquired imperfections bug anyone else? Maybe I'm just letting it bother me too much..

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 19
get a fine point sharpie and just color that speck back in.

If you don't like the way it looks, you can clean it off with, oh, windex for example.

But you'd be surprised how well it can work.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do acquired imperfections bug anyone else?

Mostly only the first few, after that the new has worn off and it no longer matters to an OCD type level.
600smile.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly only the first few, after that the new has worn off and it no longer matters to an OCD type level.
600smile.gif

Yup; x2.

....but that first nick sure is a killer!!

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 19
my stuff can look as ratty as it likes as long as it sounds awesome. One thing about us vintage phone lovers is that we expect less and tend to look on it not so much as wear, rather as a patina gained from years of well loved use. Even stuff I buy new will be used and worn so why worry about the inevitable. These things are designed for usage.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 19
If I buy mine new - I expect it to be perfect for as long as possible =] I even factor looks into my headphone shopping...
redface.gif
(mostly color matching of the rig wherever possible).
If it is used - worry bout nothing xD If it works, and works well its awesome. If its vintage and has a beaten up look but still running thats even more awesome cause that demonstrates true quality. Still great personality with age, kinda like what a man expects from a good woman and vise-versa (don't want to be offensive here, so I apologize ahead of time if so).

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 19
It's always nice to slip on a shiny, polished set of phones, but in the course of use, all hardware gets beat up a little. In my opinion, not much beats an older mic or a set of phones that have accumulated battle scars proportional to the stories that I've gained while using them.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's always nice to slip on a shiny, polished set of phones, but in the course of use, all hardware gets beat up a little. In my opinion, not much beats an older mic or a set of phones that have accumulated battle scars proportional to the stories that I've gained while using them.

Unless they are woodies. Noone wants a scratch on the woodies.

Or in Orpheus's case - its like dropping the grail you paid with your own blood for.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 19
Aesthetics are important for me!
So far I have chosen my headphones primarily by their colour (prefer black over brown). If I were to buy another expensive headphone it would have to be in mint, or close to mint, condition.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say, you're going on a potential hot date. Would you be rather wearing your MS-1 or a nice low-profile E500? You choose
wink.gif

Neither. And she doesn't find out about the headphone thing until after a few dates!

As for the aesthetics of wear, I find it more sane to take the antiques/preservationist approach to cosmetics. Instead of defects, think of them as patina. An old chair is worth more with the patina than newly refinished. Personally, I like the fact that my dinner table (circa 1910) shows evidence of about 100 years of eating. Also, a lot of car shows have a preservationist category now for the best original, unrestored car.

If the item (headphones or other) is still functional and the wear does not detract from that, I don't mind it. There's some wear on my HP-2 lettering, but I like the fact that they've been used and appreciated these years. I keep them clean and try to avoid further loss, but I'm not going to have them repainted. They are what they are.

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say, you're going on a potential hot date. Would you be rather wearing your MS-1 or a nice low-profile E500? You choose
wink.gif

Neither, I shouldn't be going to that date if I need headphones.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 19
I used to worry about every little thing when I had the W5000, but now with my AKGs all I really care about is that all the functional parts are fine (which includes earpads/headband).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back