How important are aesthetics to you?
Sep 27, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 64
Nah, I wouldn't. That said, aesthetics are IMMENSELY important to me, and my dream gear is part performance, part looks.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 64
If it sounds right I don't care if it is made of Swiss cheese. Most of my friends are into audio as furniture and I don't have that gene.

Also, as a form follows function kind of artist I find most expensive high end industrial design in bad taste. I usually think of it fitting in at a house of ill repute or a strip club! Where is Raymond Loewy when we need him?

I do like the glow of tubes in the dark when I listen late at night.

Clark

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkmc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it sounds right I don't care if it is made of Swiss cheese. Most of my friends are into audio as furniture and I don't have that gene.

Also, as a form follows function kind of artist I find most expensive high end industrial design in bad taste. I usually think of it fitting in at a house of ill repute or a strip club! Where is Raymond Loewy when we need him?

I do like the glow of tubes in the dark when I listen late at night.

Clark

Ditto. If it looks superfluous then chances are it is.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could get a great deal on some piece of hi fi gear but the color wasn't what you favor would you pass on it?

Color doesn't matter too much to me, unless it is a strange pastel color. Chassis design, tube layout, output transformer placement is important to me from an aesthetic standpoint.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 64
SQ first... looks is secondary.. but if i can have both that would make me really happy
biggrin.gif

edit: looks preference is personal taste

24bubk2.jpg

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 64
Some gear just looks repulsive, but I'd still try it for quality if it was transducer level of gear. Sources are easier to 'replace' based on looks to me. There's so much variance in the market for sources and amps, but high end cans are limited in selection.

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Colors don't have to match but each piece should be attractive and well made.

I prefer minimalism - bling does not impress.

word

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 64
Depends on the product and how good of a deal it is.
Aesthetics is really important to me, so unless it was a screaming deal allowing me to resell easily with a gain I would pass on it.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 64
Aesthetics are going to be more important than people will will admit.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 64
Sound quality is #1. Heck, I LOVE my TTVJ 307A and its esthetics are, well, "purposeful."

With that said, my home system is all McIntosh (MCD500, MA7000, MPC1500), a VPI Aries 3, and Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos. This system has some seriously nice esthetics, but also sounds awesome. Gotta love those blue meters when it is night and all the lights are off.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 64
For me sonics are number one and units do not have to match each other in color or look BUT each unit must be in perfect condition and well made. Something that looked like it was built in a garage and sounded incredible would make it into my system but I would rebuild it.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back