How I can I touch Elton John through my ears?
Dec 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dragoon47

Head-Fier

Counting down the hours until I see Elton John Live in Melbourne (Australia) on Monday night 6 Dec, roll I can’t wait, with that I am pre-listening and prompted this post, how I can I touch Elton through my ears?

Simply what is the best system for listening to EJ?

I read a lot of posts such as today’s which albums are best with your Grado?

Best set up for EJ?

Anyone else that is going next week it promises to be a great night!

Cheer’s one hugely excited EJ Fan

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 9
Back in the day we went to see Elton John with 3rd row center seats, in Dayton! Great huh, well imagine our surprise when we were waiting for the classics, Tiny Dancer, Madman Across the water etc etc..and Elton came out and said We're going to play something brand new for you tonight, I thought what the hell! Elton and his best band IMO played from start to finish "Goodbye Yellow Brick road" (not even released yet) without one stop of music...The audience and myself could't move after the show.... We were spell bound! Enjoy your show.....

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't know about set up, but you need to get the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs releases of his CDs. They have released Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed Connection, and Madman Across the Water. All these discs sound unbelievable.  They are supposedly flat transfers from the original masters. The only problem is finding them.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 9
The original records are just perfect, maybe a tube amp and some k701s would get you there. There is also a really great live album of his which came out in the 1970s. The title is Here and There, recorded in 74 released in 76.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The original records are just perfect, maybe a tube amp and some k701s would get you there. There is also a really great live album of his which came out in the 1970s. The title is Here and There, recorded in 74 released in 76.

I'll 2nd that Redcarmoose
His best "Live" LP IMO and I don't have it anymore on vinyl is his "11-17-70" concert ,Killer!!! as far as "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" goes I have it on Mo-Fi CD and DVD-A but the best sounding is the british import vinyl then comes my copy of "It" on Super Disc 1/2 speed master by Jack Hunt at JVC cutting center

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 9

Not sure if anyone else was in Melbourne last night for Elton John but what a brilliant concert, first track Saturday’s Night’s alright and he played for nearly two and a half hours, just superb, he just gets better live, simply out of this world.

Great tracks from Madman across the water, the last album, a fantastic and flawless version of Rocket Man, I could go on.

Of particular note were the backing singers, great girls, great dancing, the band was on top form with the Two Cello’s, kicking off the evening was Eran James, not seen him before, but well worth checking out, I am going to buy the album.

Elton also took time at the end to sign a lot of tickets, programs etc, shake hands, which I have not seen him do very often, a great touch, he loves Australia and it showed! A couple of piano leaps really finished the night off.

Head Phone spotting on the night was Nigel Olsson was wearing a set of Sony’s not sure what they were?

Thank you for all of the response’s to date and I will check out the links for SCAD etc.

What next on the equipment list, I am right on the edge of ordering an HM 801 for use with a set of Future Sonics IEM, as I am going to consign the ipod classic for sole car use, I have decided that I do not need to carry my entire music library, so therefore looking for quality and not quantity?

I am also considering the HE 500 against the HD 800, read through some downloaded research during the flight and not sure yet on which way to jump with a clean sheet, but simply want to lose myself and hear all of the detail.

I am going to try and get to his Red Piano Tour at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace next year, and I think you should grab the music when you can, his bubble will burst at some stage not sure when, but it will.

Yep a fantastic night all round, if you can get to see him go, I hope another live album is coming soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back