How hot is too hot!
Aug 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BobinNJ

Head-Fier
I just got a Darkvoice 336se, which is my first experience with a tube amp. I guess I have some questions concerning what the normal operating temp should be. It is pretty warm to the touch in the top plate, especially by the power tube. Not unbearible, but I can't keep my fingers on it for long. Having looked inside, i see two gold colored heatsink components in the general area. I'm using low impedience cans (Grado 325i's), and was wondering if this is overdriving the amp,
confused_face_2.gif
and causing the heating. First, is this normal; second, if not, am I shortening the life of the amp, third, does anyone know if the DV336SE has any thermal protection circurtry?
Thanks in advance.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Tube amps run hot. I had a 336SE in the past. This is normal, don't worry.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 8
just to confirm, I know the TUBES generate a lot of heat, and yes, they are FAR to hot to handle. My main concern is the amp itself. I know my SS Power amp can get warm, especially with extended use, but I also know that it has a thermal protection overheat guard. I just wanted to be sure that the cans weren't doing the same thing as overdriving an power amp with low impedence speakers.
Hope that's clear.
Thanks

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Don't worry about it. It'll be much hotter than you can deal with before it destroys itself. Consider the metal case to be a heatsink. It gets warm to dissipate the heat into the air.

Tube amps are less efficient (power wise) than solid state amps. The tubes themselves lose a lot of power to heat and, in some cases, light. That means there is more current going through some the circuitry before them. They also require substantial voltages (normally) so they normally have a transformer, which also dissipates heat under load.

It's going to be very warm.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 8
It normal for tube amp to run hot. Just make sure that the tube's plate doesn't turn red and you're safe. If it is, either your amp current is too high for the tube or tube is faulty. This will causes your amp to overheat and go supernova which might damage the transformer.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 8
The old Nelson pass rule of thumb is that if it's too hot to touch for 5 seconds, it's too hot. If you can, ventilate it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back