how high up the quality ladder for first IEM?
Oct 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BananaNutz

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a higher end pair of iem's, and was looking at the Shure se215, and then the westone 3. I've read a bunch of reviews and posts, and can't make a decision. I'm coming from koss sparkplugs, which I find lack bass, solid mids, and have an over exaggerated treble. Is the difference in price really noticeable in sound quality between the se215 and w3? I listen to a lot of progressive metal and rock, out of an iPod classic 5.5.  initially these will be for yard work, gym, drumming at home, flights, etc.  Not sure how much actually sitting and listening i will do. I will add that i hate double buying, and find that i'm dreading the fact that im purchasing these based on reviews, that are subjective based on the user.

David

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 12
I will recommend the Westone 3 over SE215 and W3 offers more detailed, refined soundquality. The other IEMs like E-Q7, HF5, GR10, EX1000, FX700, SM3 V2, PFE232, IE80 and W4R are recommended.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 12
Problem is only real way to find out what you like is to try many different isms and hear for yourself. This can get expensive unless you find a place with a great return policy or you listen to other peoples cans.

Sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 12
This is a really good question and a tough one to answer.   I don't believe top tier universals are an end in and of themselves.  It's really more about discovering your preferences in sound signature, form/fit and comfort.  I've owned and used many top tiers and have found my favorite in a middle tier $130 IEM.  Sure some of those others were more technically proficient but they ultimately didn't fit what I needed or wanted and it took some time discovering just what it was I needed and wanted.

The good news is most universals are very easily resold should you not like them and can fund your further pursuit.  My advice is not to get caught up in worrying about finding the 'perfect' or 'best' one.  Worry more about learning what kind of sound you hope to find, then ask lots of questions and read |jokers| multi-iem thread and use it as a base for your search.  Do you want big bass?  More sub bass rumble or mid bass impact.  Do you want a focus on vocals and mids and do you want laid back and relaxed treble or something detailed, upfront and bright?  Answering some of these types of questions will help everyone better point you in a direction you might like.

If you want to try the W3, I'd recommend checking the sale forums and buying used to save some money.  The Shure se215 is cheap enough to buy outright and resell if you don't like it.  Good luck.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Problem is only real way to find out what you like is to try many different isms and hear for yourself. This can get expensive unless you find a place with a great return policy or you listen to other peoples cans.
Sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

yah, in the back of my head i knew that sampling a bunch is the way go... 

sound signature is kinda hard to pin down. i would say tight controlled bass, with low bass to fill in.  vocals and highs more forward in the mix, but not in your face. 

i guess i'll start with the se215 and see where the journey takes me.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 12
amazon is your best friend at the moment..buy the westone 3, westone 4, shure 535, maybe the ultimate ears triple fi 10, monster turbines, turbine golds and coppers and try away..these are all "top tier" iem's
oh and dba-02's or brainwavz b2's. return the ones you don't like, and keep the ones you do like and if they don't sound any better or worth it over the phones you have now, return them all 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 12

fyi amazon is not an authorized westone dealer - you will have no warranty support if you end up keeping one of them.

Quote:
amazon is your best friend at the moment..buy the westone 3, westone 4, shure 535, maybe the ultimate ears triple fi 10, monster turbines, turbine golds and coppers and try away..these are all "top tier" iem's
oh and dba-02's or brainwavz b2's. return the ones you don't like, and keep the ones you do like and if they don't sound any better or worth it over the phones you have now, return them all 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 12
i've read about the whole Amazon thing.  part of the reason i'm hesitant to buy used...  already ran into a w3 bought from a non authorized dealer, only 6 months left...  would be a pain to re-sell if i wanted to.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
fyi amazon is not an authorized westone dealer - you will have no warranty support if you end up keeping one of them.

ahh, not for the westone 3, that's true because its fulfilled by amazon

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 12
I agree with this.  Figure out what sound signature you like, do some research, and go after those.  I've tried a lot of top tier IEMs and I've settled on the Triple Fi 10, and got it reshelled into a custom..

Quote:
This is a really good question and a tough one to answer.   I don't believe top tier universals are an end in and of themselves.  It's really more about discovering your preferences in sound signature, form/fit and comfort.  I've owned and used many top tiers and have found my favorite in a middle tier $130 IEM.  Sure some of those others were more technically proficient but they ultimately didn't fit what I needed or wanted and it took some time discovering just what it was I needed and wanted.

The good news is most universals are very easily resold should you not like them and can fund your further pursuit.  My advice is not to get caught up in worrying about finding the 'perfect' or 'best' one.  Worry more about learning what kind of sound you hope to find, then ask lots of questions and read |jokers| multi-iem thread and use it as a base for your search.  Do you want big bass?  More sub bass rumble or mid bass impact.  Do you want a focus on vocals and mids and do you want laid back and relaxed treble or something detailed, upfront and bright?  Answering some of these types of questions will help everyone better point you in a direction you might like.

If you want to try the W3, I'd recommend checking the sale forums and buying used to save some money.  The Shure se215 is cheap enough to buy outright and resell if you don't like it.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back