How have you spread audiophilia lately?
Oct 25, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
I've noticed ever since coming to this site, I've excited the inner/sleeping head-fier in many of my peers, peers meaning people that are around me. When people see my ZVM velcroed to my PA2V2
rolleyes.gif
they get really excited and all "Oh, that's so cool! WHAT IS THAT? YOU MUST TELL ME!" or "That's intense!"
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Anyway, there are quite a few people that I've gotten to listen to their music with just a little bit more attention, or just go to head-fi or HeadRoom and check everything out. The bizarre thing though is I'm not even trying to get them to bid farewell to their wallets! I just go about my day and somebody will be "Whoa, crazy headphones. What kind are they? Gray Dough? Never heard. Are they good?" And *poof* audiophilia spreads itself! Has anyone else experienced this?

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 21
All of my friends think I'm crazy/stupid for my headphone passion, so I doubt I'll convert any of them any time soon. They still can't comprehend buying headphones to use at home (They always say that that's what speakers are for...).

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 21
I've been spreading audiophilia to one of my buddies. Before I met the guy he picked up a pair of midrange B&W speakers but and connected them to an older Denon system. Not bad gear at all, but his initial room setup left something to be desired. We chatted about that for a while, he changed it and is thrilled by the results. (His girlfriend is less thrilled by the re-arrangement... I've been getting some daggers from that corner lately) Now I've been explaining the concept of an outboard DAC and he seems to be warming to using his denon as a transport.

Haven't made any progress on the headphone front though.

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 21
I've never been able to successfully convert anyone. I'm surrounded by stock i-bud users who think I'm crazy.

Oct 25, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 21
Haven't converted anyone, though I think my dad appreciates that I steered him away from Bose QC2's to his ER-6i's. That's the best I've done so far.

Aditya

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 21
I recently got my roommate into headphones. He recently purchased an hd580 based on my recommendation and now he is hooked. He just registered here at headfi and is already looking into getting a good amp and dac for the senns. I guess the evil continues
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 21
my brother, my best friend, former roommate, and working on several more friends and my current roommate. but most htink i'm crazy, but they do come for advice about audio stuff.

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 21
I also spread it to my girlfriend... though I had significant help from her audiophile father. He softened her up for the first 19 years and I took it over from there.

Now she is mildly obsessive about speaker placement and room acoustics. And has rather developed opinions about the relative merits of Arcam cd players versus Rega and Naim.

Yet still no progress on the headphone front... I just can't seem to get anyone to listen to me about headphones!

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 21
i converted the most important person - my wife. well, not completely converted her, but she mostly understands the importance of good equipment.

i was thrilled to come home one evening to find my wife sitting at her desk doing some work...wearing my RS-1s!! she looked happy...and remarked how amazing they sounded. she's still an ipod gal, but she loves her er6i and roams the house with a pair of k81dj when she doesn't want to hear football on the tellie...great gal me wife is
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 21
I've spread some stuff lately, but I'm not so sure it was audiophilia
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 21
I gave my sister an ER-6i a few months ago; wasn't sure she'd really use it, but she travels enough to be able to benefit from an IEM on the plane, if nothing else. And the black fits her style better than white earbuds.

She just got the new "(RED)" iPod Nano. I asked her how the new-style earbuds sounded compared to the ones from her old iPod. She said, "Oh! I don't know. It hadn't occured to me to listen with anything but my ER-6i's." Yesssss!!!

I don't think I'll be able to get her into anything higher-end than this, but I count this one a win.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back