How has the economy and high gas price affected you?
Jun 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #16 of 24
Gas has not changed anything for me at all. I have a Civic to go to work in that gets about 28-31 so not really a big deal to fill up.

The economy is a plus for me, I am looking at getting a new house and the prices are still tanking around here. The downfall is that I am not sure when to jump in before things start going back up.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #17 of 24
I miss my gas-powered sex robot.
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 24
Admittedly, I'm a bit on the crazy side, but I've driven about 14,000 miles since April: 9,000 miles in a motorhome that averages 9 miles per gallon (diesel); 2,000 miles in a rental car in Italy that cost about US$9 per gallon (diesel) not to mention the terribly expensive toll roads over there; 1,000 miles in my Atom, which actually does pretty well on gas when not on the track; 2,000 miles in various other vehicles.

Essentially, I had big driving trips planned for this spring and summer, and I wasn't about to let the cost of fuel kill those plans. I suppose it will hit me hardest in the Fall when I'm settled back in Cayman and one day decide to pull out a calculator and add it all up from my credit card statements. Until then, I've vowed not to worry about it. I've got at least 8-10,000 miles left to tear up during the next couple of months.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 24
Hasn't affected me much at all... I am still a student so I have no bills to pay as of now. I don't own a car, no license yet so no gas either. I am somewhat shocked by everyone complaining about gas prices here, it happened similarly in the 80s Europe has huge gas prices compared to ours and it isnt my fault you bought huge sUVs

@Skyline - I often drive a 1993 4 cylinder 135HP or so 2Ton+ minivan, to get going 55-65 on the entrance ramp to crowded freeways, I literally have to floor it even with 2 people, with 4 people or a large load, you can count on flooring its poor little 4 cyl engine :p

Toyota Previa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny thing is, though it is a minivan, it is kinda fun to go fast through curves (Taken to the extreme by these people) with it, it handles surprisingly well also has full time AWD. Also whenever I park it I think I am gonna hit the car in front of me, I get out and there is 1-2 feet in front of me because the hood is so short

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 24
I pay about 50% more a month on gas now. I tried biking to work but it gets crazy scary. At that point the price of gas is still much cheaper than the price of my life.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 24
We're retired and living on a fixed income, and AFTER we retired, our youngest Daughter gave us her four kids to raise. So obviously we ain't exactly doin' all that great.

The local Government is broke and not supporting the schools, so we parents(we addopted the kids)have to take up the slack. Our biggest fear is that one of the four kids goofs up and gets kicked off the schoolbus....again. That would be an additional ten precious gallons a week....bummer.

Otherwise we've pretty well gotten in the habit of plotting our road trips like NASA plots their adventures. Every pound of fuel and cargo is accounted for. Every trajectory and maneuver calculated to the nearest millimeter. Some missions are even being canceled.

Our Cable Bill is about $150 a month, and while the cost of Cable has stayed pretty much the same......doesn't there seem to be more commercials here lately? Electricity is slated to go up...again. So we're getting in the habit of setting the air conditioning to around 80F instead of a more comfortable 76F. We started doing that last summer and it worked out pretty well. We are implementing an additional ground rule though. We understand that an air conditioner continues to run efficiently as long as you don't try to go much cooler than about 10F below the outside temp. Don't know if it's true or not; but I read it somewhere. Anyway; if it hits 92F outside, we'll set for 82F inside that day.

There are tons of vacation destinations within only a few dozen miles from here. They'll just have to manage without our support this year. Instead of a few days at Disney or Universal a couple times during the summer, we're spending the bucks on more things the kids can do around the house. One kid got a new Guitar, another is getting an electric drum set. (I even got ME a new Guitar!!)They all(including the Wife!) got new game machines that use very little gas and aren't just a simple and expensive memory after a very short amount of time like a carbon-copy of last years and the year befores trip to a theme park would be.

Some of our favorite eating emporiums are seeing less of us as well, which means our favorite waitresses unfortunately aren't having such a great summer either. After the kids go back to school we'll see our favorite resturanteers again, it'll just be the two of us going rather than all six.

We haven't recieved our economic stimulus check yet, but when it gets here we've pretty well itemized what we want to spend it on. All of it will go to places we believe(hope) have employees that pay into Social Security.

We haven't gotten to the point of clipping coupons for the grocery store yet, but the Wife is starting to think about it again. She used to do it when we were younger and starting to raise a family while I was still in school. She made it almost a hobby! We have made one change in our shopping habits. We've stopped shopping as much for food at stores such as Publix or Winn-Dixie and started going to Wal-Mart.

It's embarrassing.

We try to stay in the food section though. Most everything else they sell in the rest of the store would give ANY country of origin a bad name!
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also - ive started putting regular gas in my 3 series, poor things runnin on 82 octane..
frown.gif

i cant justify paying 4.60 per gallon vs 420 per gallon when i dont speed anymore neway. heh.

if the car calls for premium gas then give it that, otherwise all youre doing is giving it gas that results in possible damage to the engine and worse fuel economy that entirely NEGATES the purpose of going for the cheaper fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back