How 'green' is the new MacBook?
Jun 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 33
Aluminum is used in so many pieces of equipment these days look how many parts of
transportation that uses it but it can be reused over and over so if its a major offender
then cars,motorcycles,boats,planes and bicycles far outnumber laptops and there are at
least a dozen or so other products that could still be mentioned but I would think plastics
which they all still use would be worse offenders.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aluminum is used in so many pieces of equipment these days look how many parts of
transportation that uses it but it can be reused over and over so if its a major offender
then cars,motorcycles,boats,planes and bicycles far outnumber laptops and there are at
least a dozen or so other products that could still be mentioned but I would think plastics
which they all still use would be worse offenders.

actually no

plastic is mostly from by products from other uses of oil. predominantly petrol and other fuel oils. the bits most plastics are made from its easyer and cheaper to trun into plastic than it is to crack it down further into more combustible fractions. ironically making plastic is relatively green, its the disposal of it that usually isnt.

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poor quality, huh?

Suppose that's why my IIfx is still running. It was made in 1991. My SE30 was made around 1989-1990. I also have a Fat Mac from 1985 and a IIgs of similar vintage.

They all still work. So do about a dozen other assorted all-in-one Macs I have in storage.

Anecdotal evidence is useless. I have a computer running Windows ME that has an uptime of 5-8 years, just for fun. Does that mean ME is a quality OS? No. I have a TAM that still works. Does that mean it isn't a POS? No.

If you really want to be "green," buy used, fix it if it breaks, and if it becomes unusable...tear it apart and recycle it appropriately. Or, if you don't need a laptop, don't buy it.

Really, I doubt any laptop on the market today is any better than another in the "green" area on any degree of magnitude that matters. As said above, batteries are the biggest culprit. The entire circuitry et al., too.

Honestly, just buy whatever. As an environmentalist, I doubt there is anything we can do ourselves to undo any damage we've already done. Sure, I think it is stupid to make anything worse, but, whatever.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #20 of 33
It's only green so far as it save Apple money. For instance, reducing the footprint of the boxes so they could transport more MacBooks per Plane or whatever and saving money on packaging costs and saving Apple money in fuel and aviation costs at the same time. The greenness is only a byproduct of money-saving initiatives which have been (without too much difficulty) spun to give the impression that Apple is environmentally friendly. And I'm not a hater either. Pure, unadulterated fanboy actually!

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #21 of 33
Lets face it there is nothing really Green about computers some more than others but
they all use some form of toxin in some part and the meaner they are the more current
hungry they are, ever see an energy star sticker on a full fledge gaming rig.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 33
cardboard-computer.jpg

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 33
i honestly dont think its that green, but the battery life + alumium case makes it so nice. If only my school didnt require us to buy a dell. Spent 3000 dollars on this latitude and its crappin out on me already after 4 months.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...require you to buy a Dell? I've never heard of a school requiring its students to buy a computer, let alone a specific brand.

actually alot of professional schools like med schools / dental school etc force their students to purchase the same computer, or at least the same line

my school forced me to buy a latitude, with 4 year accidental and 4 year onsite warranty

came out to be a grip, and now im having lots of problems with it already, i actually like most of dell's stuff, just not their laptops.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #28 of 33
'Greener' than before maybe, but not all 'green'.
How they compare 'green-wise' to computers from other vendors count as well..

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 33
Apple mentioning the green aspects of their products came about from Greenpeace constantly harassing them about it constantly. Ultimately, if you want to do your bit for the environment, don't buy new products, become vegetarian, use as little energy in your home as possible etc etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back