How 'green' is the new MacBook?
Jun 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Banned at his own request
I saw their ad on TV boasting no harsh chemicals and whatnot. I've known for LONG that Apple's quality is only skin-deep. So how green is it? Any scientific proofs?

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw their ad on TV boasting no harsh chemicals and whatnot. I've known for LONG that Apple's quality is only skin-deep. So how green is it? Any scientific proofs?

"Green" has long become a meaningless meme besides, the Macbooks are silver and you sound like a troll.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
besides, the Macbooks are silver and you sound like a troll.

Lol. First laugh of the day. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard the proofs got lost in the internets.

Seriously, if you're buying any product that uses a battery, expect to take a nice bite out of Mama Earth at some point or other. Doesn't matter what any company says. It's a chemical product that will burn away at the planet and a large portion of them will sooner or later end up in a place they're not supposed to.

If you want to do the planet a favor, cut back on products that use a battery. Buy a mechanical watch, spend more time outside. This whole "Green" technology thing bugs me. I'm glad that companies are making a bit more of an effort, but it would certainly help a lot more if consumers bothered to make one.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 33
The problem with going Green none of us myself included are willing to give up our toys
or seek out the ones that are greener but also lower performers.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, if you're buying any product that uses a battery, expect to take a nice bite out of Mama Earth at some point or other.

Let me rephrase that.

Seriously, as soon as you are born you start taking bites out of sweet Mama Earth.
While you're at it, just buy the things you want/like.. It'll make you happy
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 33
Poor quality, huh?

Suppose that's why my IIfx is still running. It was made in 1991. My SE30 was made around 1989-1990. I also have a Fat Mac from 1985 and a IIgs of similar vintage.

They all still work. So do about a dozen other assorted all-in-one Macs I have in storage.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poor quality, huh?

Suppose that's why my IIfx is still running. It was made in 1991. My SE30 was made around 1989-1990. I also have a Fat Mac from 1985 and a IIgs of similar vintage.

They all still work. So do about a dozen other assorted all-in-one Macs I have in storage.

In case you didn't notice, he was commenting on how they put more focus on how a Mac looks rather than how it functions. Tell me, do any of those ancient Macs look anything like the newer models? Yeah, I didn't think so.

The saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" ring a bell?

My grandmother's dual floppy Mac still works. Not that anyone uses it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you didn't notice, he was commenting on how they put more focus on how a Mac looks rather than how it functions.

And how is that unrelated to their quality?

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you didn't notice, he was commenting on how they put more focus on how a Mac looks rather than how it functions. Tell me, do any of those ancient Macs look anything like the newer models? Yeah, I didn't think so.

The saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" ring a bell?

My grandmother's dual floppy Mac still works. Not that anyone uses it.

Anyone that says this hasn't spent an appreciable time with a Mac. The new Macbook is ridiculously user friendly. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather use the Macbook touchpad than any mouse I've ever used. Time Machine owns any other backup system I have ever seen, Spotlight makes my life easy (I'm a chemist and have tons of article PDFs on my Mac, spotlight can pull up all of those that have particular topic I want instantaneously... not to mention all of my presentations, emails, etc. that contain the same topic). I'd say that Apple spends 10 times the time on making things functional as opposed to making them pretty. Not to mention is secure, isn't based on the same flipping technology the Windows 98 was based on, has great battery life, and is all around a better piece of equipment than any PC I've ever owned or built (and I've owned and built many PCs).

I'm not 14 anymore. I don't need a game system that can push 50fps running Crysis max. Other than that, Apple owns PCs in every appreciable way.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #12 of 33
Not especially 'green' I would say.
All that aluminum is probably first transported half way around the world from the mine to Apple's factories in China, then melted (energy intensive) into whatever shape they need. The end product chassis are then filled with batteries, chips, ....
At the final stage the computer is shipped all the way from China to the end user around the world.

That can not be all that 'green'!

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 33
nooo its not just metled, it takes far afr more electricity to rip the oxygen from the aluminium as found in its natural state. its production really only happens in places with an abundance of cheap and plentiful electricty. in fact norway and its hyrdoelectric abundance is one such place, iceland too with its geothermal.

of course china makes it to but they then have to use massive amounts of coal which is just super green

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well given aluminium is one of the most energy intensive metals to produce im thinking its about as green as it is cheap and non proprietary.

QFT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back