How good of an amp should I consider before I get a new source?
Mar 4, 2002 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use a CHA 47 with my D-25S and Etys and I was just wondering:

How good of an amp should I be considering before I have to go and upgrade my source as well? Will a D-25S sound ok with some of the higher end headroom amps for example? Like the cosmic or supreme etc.

I mean, I certainly don't mean to use a D-25S with a friggin blockhead and walk around like the biggest pimp on earth or anything. Any of you guys have any suggestions? How far up the amp chain should I go before upgrading my source?

Mar 4, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Do you mean for portable use, or for a stationary rig?
If you're building a home system, IMO you should start by getting a better source. No portable I ever heard came close to even cheap ($200) stationary units. A better amp will make a difference for sure, but a better source will improve the overall sound more.
Just my opinion.

Mar 4, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 7
I think portable use first. Building a home rig takes a LOT of money and I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. That'll be when I'm out of college and have a good paying job and a place of my own perhaps. For right now I guess I'm looking for the best possible unit to use with my current pcdp.

Mar 4, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm in a similar position myself... Using a Sony D-EJ725 as source now. When I borrow the Cosmic (
biggrin.gif
) The best source I have would be the CD-2165C CDP in my Sherwood component system--how good is that?
confused.gif
No idea about the system as it's a hand-me-down from my uncle

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 4, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Look at it this way, all portable players suck. Makes more sense to upgrade the amp. However, for portable use, I have the HeadRoom Supreme and currently am awaiting my CHA-47 from JMT. Why? Because the Supreme is just not practical for portable use. My advise is, hold out and save what you can for when you are ready for a home rig. No sense in wasting money.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 7
[insert me stuff talking about stuff basically seconding what A&M said]

I bought all this portable stuff.......JMT CHA 47.......new pana 570, etc. etc.

Finally realized in the end that I"m just gonna listen to the stuff at home. Ended up buying nice source and headphone amp.

*sighs*. Man, I"m glad I'm not into speakers.....if I were. I'd be dead broke. Or heavens forbid, have to get a job.

Hehe. I'd start saving up for home audio stuff now and skip out the portables altogether.

Mar 4, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 7
I guess I should be happy with the D-25S Ety 4S and Cha 47 setup until I have enough money for a cambridge audio D500se and higher end headroom amp like the supreme or cosmic or perhaps an mg head. This wouldn't be for at least a year or two. Best Buy doesn't pay me enough to snatch up the gear right away. Well at least I have phenomenal performance from my current setup and it cost me not that much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back