How good is your Hearing ?
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

madwolf

100+ Head-Fier
This test is rough guide to determine, How much you hear in your music. Just a guide, I edited this so that everyone will have a decent result.

Listening is done after at least 2 hours of rest (Not listening to any music preferable in a quiet environment resting). Burn the same song (with good recording) at 128, 192, 256, 320 KBps using the same equipment.
You only listen to 1 copy of the music as this is NOT an AB test. MP3 is the format to use.

Ask someone to play one of the file 128kBps or 320kBps. Just by listening to 1 copy if you are confidence you could tell the difference, You are serious about music, give you 90 points.

If you are confidence you could tell within one listen if the song is 192kBps or 320kBps. You score 96

If you identify between 256 and 320kBps by just listening to one of the copy you 98% there .

If you let your tester choose any of the 4 files and you could tell with confidence which file you are listening to you qualify for perfect 100.

Remember this is not an AB test. You are not allowed to switch between the files to compare. You are however allowed to hear the difference between the files at your pace before the 2 hours rest.

So where do you stand ?

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 19
I have golden ears. Not only was I able to tell the difference, but I could actually hear the 192kbps drop to 191.4kbps somewhere in the bridge. It was when the other guitar came in from the left.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 19
what does this have to do with audiophilia?

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 19
Pardon...?

deadhorse.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have golden ears. Not only was I able to tell the difference, but I could actually hear the 192kbps drop to 191.4kbps somewhere in the bridge. It was when the other guitar came in from the left.

LOL

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 19
Also strongly depends on the gear you're using. Assuming headphones, if they're not up to revealing differences, well, that's that.

I had my hearing tested by an audiologist last year, and other than a sensitivity to treble, which I already knew about (nice to have it confirmed), which he said was due to damage, he stated I had the hearing of a 10-year-old boy, which is even a stranger comment since I'm female, but ah well.

Having good hearing doesn't mean I can hear differences I'm not practiced at listening for (listening is a skill), nor does it mean I hear the same every day (allergies acting up, etc.). Also, having good hearing doesn't mean I'm an audiophile (don't consider myself one anyway) or even that I appreciate music, it just means I'm pretty lucky, and I'm going to try and keep things that way for as long as I can.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 19
Without having the original source file as reference point I think this is quite pointless.
wink.gif

I may not be able to hear an audible difference between 256kbps and 320kbps, but that does not say I can not hear an audible difference between any of them and the original source (lossless one). That is what matters to me..

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

I more than chuckled at this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back