How good is your hearing?
Mar 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kejar31

1000+ Head-Fier
I saw this site on Digg this morning and thought it might be kinda fun for everyone to try out.

on the site is a list of tones from 8-22 khz

SITE

within this thread list the last tone you can hear

I will start:

I am 34 and the last one I could hear was 17khz

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 20
I got up to 19khz. Is that the limit of the speakers that I was testing with? Or is it my hearing failing. I heard the driver make a little click sound when I pressed play, but did not hear any high pitched sound.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm dubious that my soundcard/headphones aren't failing prior to my hearing. mostly because 19 is clicking through the whole tone.

It is fun playing 15 over and over and having my officemate ask me whether or not I hear that noise and know where it's coming from.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great. Another thread where we get read how the super humans can hear Miss Manners queef at 1000 yards.

bitter much?

I don't think anyone has said anything along those lines (and I don't think we needed such a disgusting example, if you wouldn't mind, the edit button is a single click away)

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! I was replaced by a robot at the factory!

replaced?

naw man, thats why I got cybnernetic implants, hence full dynamic range high definition hearing (0hz - 100 khz), the ability to run a 9 second quarter (yes, mile), and full adamantium skeleton, so I can lift thousands of pounds and endure massive blunt impacts

I'm still getting fired from the factory (damned GM!), me and the guys (you'd call them "robot") are pretty t'ed off

/lol

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 20
We don' need no steenking net-test. Got my audiological assesment right here (for some reason):

Through normal headphone testing, I can hear between 250Hz-2kHz at 0dB in both ears. I have a 5dB loss in the left ear and 10db in the right @ the 4kHz (speaking) range, then back up to even at 6kHz and beyond.

Through bone conduction, I can hear the full tested range at -10dB.

Frequency range tested was from 250Hz to 10kHz, from -10dB to 120db. Could have asked for the 20-20 range, but it was a free service so I didn't want to put them out.

Not bad, I think, considering the unprotected abuse my poor ears were subjected to during my teens.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 20
I'm Canadian... not sure the same kind of care would be freely offered down there - but you never know. Audiologist service is not covered by normal health insurance here, so it was the clinic itself offering the freebies. I'd look into it.

As for the test, no, he didn't blast me with anything over 30dB, I don't think. Was just giving the upper and lower limits of the test for completeness' sake.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 20
oh, I understand now, I was thinking "ok so the goal is to see how good your hearing is, by blasting 120 dB into your head, ensuring that the whole "change by measurement" concept is entirely sustained" haha

and yeah, I've never seen freebies at audiologist clinics here, you never know though, they might try it to strum up business or something

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 20
I passed. I'm obviously beyond-human.

Terminator3-09.jpg

Obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back