How good is the Woo Audio WA7 built-in DAC? Is it as good as Schiit Bifrost?
Mar 29, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #48 of 55
Love the new simplicity of this gen 2 product:
having good quality music from your laptop or desktop or Android/ios phone now...kudos to innovative companies like woo, chord, audioquest (new dragonflys coming out) etc bringing great sound to usb.

I need some help please... just got back into audio about six months ago, sold off alot of my gear, went laptop as music source.
bought an iFi micro iDSD attached to my laptop as dac/amp...or sometimes have it attached to my mapletree audio design ear + purist headphobe tube amp.
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

Want to sell the mapletree ( fab condition lightly used recently inspected) for something more current...so am considering woo.

my question: Is the iFi idsd dac still a good match for a woo firefly...or a different woo? ...or get the gen 2 firefly with dac included ( so sell ifi idsd?).

My cans: senn hd 650, sony 7520.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #50 of 55
  ARE YOU SERIOUSSSSSSSS!!!

I BARELY bought my WA7 (old gen now) last month -.-

Please tell me there will be like an update program or something Mike....

Yes, we have plans to offer an upgrade option for existing WA7 customers in the near future. WA8 Eclipse and 2nd gen WA7 orders are overwhelming our production team at the moment. As soon as we’re a little more caught up, we’ll open the gates for WA7 upgrades. We’ll keep you posted when the details are available.

May 27, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #53 of 55
Since the last post in this thread the Schiit Bifrost 2 has come out. Has anyone had a chance to compare the WA7 gen 2 dac to the Bifrost 2?

For context, I have a Loki Mini that I'd like to keep in the signal chain, but obviously can't do when using the WA7 as both dac and amp. (I like having the ability to adjust the highs and lows to my preference depending on what kind of music I'm listening to.) So I'm wondering if getting a Bifrost 2 is an actual upgrade in sound quality, or if it would just add to the cost of using the Loki with no improvement in SQ.

May 27, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #54 of 55
Quality is perceived. I'd say the Bifrost 2 was a bit warm, greying background but really enjoyable to listen to and engaging. Also it was fatigue free. It's a great DAC.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #55 of 55
Since the last post in this thread the Schiit Bifrost 2 has come out. Has anyone had a chance to compare the WA7 gen 2 dac to the Bifrost 2?

For context, I have a Loki Mini that I'd like to keep in the signal chain, but obviously can't do when using the WA7 as both dac and amp. (I like having the ability to adjust the highs and lows to my preference depending on what kind of music I'm listening to.) So I'm wondering if getting a Bifrost 2 is an actual upgrade in sound quality, or if it would just add to the cost of using the Loki with no improvement in SQ.

Update: I went ahead and bought the Bifrost 2 and it's a definite step up to my ears from the WA7 DAC. IMHO, the Bifrost 2 does a better job of separating and rounding out the individual notes and instruments. That, plus the ability to use the Loki Mini makes adding this to my signal chain so worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_3726.jpg
    IMG_3726.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back