How good is the analouge out on the M-Audio Transit?
Dec 5, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #16 of 21
Hi Neil.

Any ideas how would the transit compare to a m-audio revo 7.1/5.1? Same sonic quality?

Cheers.
Kenn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
These are close in terms of performance, but I'll rank them best to worst (remember they are all very good and perform very close to each other):

1. NAD 521BEE (very natural-sounding with good clarity)
2. Terratec DMX 6Fire LT (close to the NAD but lacks that last bit of naturalness)
3. Chaintech AV-710 (very close to the DMX 6Fire, but the drivers are lacking compared to the Terratec, which sounds better with resampling @ 88.1kHz than the AV-710 does @ 96kHz)
4. M-Audio Transit (very close to the above cards but is more limited in features - I use its optical output more these days; it's bit-perfect)

Here are sources I own that are better than the above 3 (again in order of best to worst):

1. Benchmark DAC1 (the best source I've heard in my own system)
2. E-MU 1212M (a very good card but still cannot match the musicality and transparency of the DAC1, and the bass quality doesn't come close; the best analog output of any card I've heard IMO, but the RME has better digital out IME)
3. RME DIGI 96/8 PAD (less clear than the E-MU but the bass is better IMO; still this card is harsh in the treble; I use it as a transport for the DAC1 since it's bit-perfect with or without ASIO as it bypasses kmixer and the driver and interface are much better than E-MU's)

The Transit is definitely better than:

1. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (harsh and unresolved compared to Transit and better cards; still very good for its day; possibly the best AC97 soundcard)
2. iRiver SlimX iMP-550 (very good for what it does)
3. Creative SB Live! (pretty terrible in every regard - sound quality, drivers, interface, etc.)

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #17 of 21
Since the M-Audio Revo 7.1 sounds very similar to the Chaintech AV-710 (similar Envy chipset) and the Chaintech is in the same ballpark as the Transit sonically, then the Revo 7.1 is also in that same bracket.

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Since the M-Audio Revo 7.1 sounds very similar to the Chaintech AV-710 (similar Envy chipset) and the Chaintech is in the same ballpark as the Transit sonically, then the Revo 7.1 is also in that same bracket.

Hi Neil.

Thanks, that makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif
Know where i can pick up a transit for a good price.

Cheers.
Kenn.

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 21
Well, I can't tell you how stock Transit line-out sounds. But I can tell you how one with black gates for coupling caps and black gates in PS sound like..

Pretty good line-out given the obvious limitations in 5V supply, surface mounted 5V op amps, etc. I would change the op amps, but I'm no good with surface-mount soldering and wouldn't know which 5V op-amp would be superior.

Used as line-out into SuperMacro, modded Transit line-out sounds refined, smooth, with good if not the best bass impact/reach, with very naturally detailed midrange. All in Apple Lossless..

Dec 8, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Know where i can pick up a transit for a good price.

I bought one from zzounds.com several weeks ago for about $80 including shipping. It arrived in about 3 days. I would order from them again. I'm less impressed with M-Audio. I couldn't my work PC to recognize the USB device. I emailed M-Audio support, and never received a response (after 2+ weeks). Fortunately I was able to resolve the problem by removing all the USB drivers and letting Windows re-discover the devices and re-install the drivers. FWIW, the sound of the Transit was a significant upgrade from the built-in sound card on the PC. I haven't had time to do a comparison with the Audiophile 2496 card in my home PC.

Dec 8, 2004 at 11:49 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom L
I bought one from zzounds.com several weeks ago for about $80 including shipping. It arrived in about 3 days. I would order from them again. I'm less impressed with M-Audio. I couldn't my work PC to recognize the USB device. I emailed M-Audio support, and never received a response (after 2+ weeks). Fortunately I was able to resolve the problem by removing all the USB drivers and letting Windows re-discover the devices and re-install the drivers. FWIW, the sound of the Transit was a significant upgrade from the built-in sound card on the PC. I haven't had time to do a comparison with the Audiophile 2496 card in my home PC.

Hi there.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
Will give them a try. By the way when you get a chance to compare the transit to the AP2496 please share your experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers.
Kenn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back