How good can PCDP get?
Jan 27, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 20
I doubt it, unless you get a really crappy cdp, but since you can get a very good sounding cdp under $200, I doubt you can get a portable that sounds better.

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 20
While I haven't personally tested any of the top CD players, I have seen comparative reviews of their sound quality in two German audio magazines (who measure and listen the equipment they test).

The best of cd players (Sony, Grundig, iRiver and Panasonic top models) are a little bit worse audibly than the cheap NAD, Marantz or Denon models.

Even the cheapest Arcams outperform the portable cd players quite handily.

regards,
Halcyon

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 20
From the line-out, the Denon DCP-150 surely can. It has a very pleasant high-end sound, bass that goes very deep without boosting, the sound is very full over the whole spectrum, with sparkling detail.

I'm not sure how it would rank among expensive full-size CD players. But with it's 18-bit DAC with 8 times oversampling it surely can beat many lower and mid-end CD decks.

I haven't got my Optimus 3400 yet, it will be interesting to compare the two. Though the line-out of the DCP-150 already clearly beat the one of the D-555 for me.

Jan 27, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 20
Some of the older pcdp's have a surprisingly good sound quality that can stand up even today against some budget stand-alones, IMO. The Sony D-303 has a very nice sounding line output, although it's digital output is not as good as current players I've tried. I've got a couple more players with digital outputs that I want to evaluate as transports, Optimus CD-3400 included, before making generalizations there (although the Sony has a better tonal balance than the Optimus using the line output, IMO).

The current emphasis on lightness, anti-skip, and battery life seem to have taken precendence over build construction and maximum sonic performance, however, so I think current players actually pose less of a challenge to a stand-alone than the older ones. Too many compromises.

I don't think any of the portables, old or new, are going to pose a serious challenge to an Arcam, though.

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by JahJahBinks
It is hard for me carry a full sized CDP from my dorm back to home so I would like to know with about $150 budget what are my best choices.

You should be able to find a D-303 for that amount, or even less. It chews batteries like candy, and is more a "transportable" than a true portable (no skip protection), but the sound is as as good as I've heard in a pcdp (I haven't heard the D-555 or the Denons).

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
You should be able to find a D-303 for that amount, or even less. It chews batteries like candy, and is more a "transportable" than a true portable (no skip protection), but the sound is as as good as I've heard in a pcdp (I haven't heard the D-555 or the Denons).

Look around at your local pawn shops... [unless you're in Seattle... then lay off. They're MINE!.. MY PRECIOUS.. Umm.. yeah.
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

I got my D303 at a pawn shop for $30. There isn't a scratch on the player, so I was surprised when I noticed a chip off they "N" and "Y" of the "SONY" logo...

Sorta bummed, too.. =P

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 20
JahJahBinks: If you want a D-303, I believe there's one still available in the for sale forum.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 20
Most of the good sounding PCDPs, especially the ones that would rival full sized CDPs, are quite old. I think anything half the size of a CDP would have to be from the olden days since the new PCDPs are designed more with slimness in mind than sound quality.

You could get a Panasonic SL-CT470/570 which is more modern, but still, I don't think it stacks up as well against full-sized players.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Heck, the D-303 was first introduced over 10 years ago.

Any modern ones?

If the size is half of a full-sized CDP, that's fine too.

Don't ignore the old PCDP's! In fact, you probably won't find a modern PCDP that can rival the old classics. I'm in a very similar situation to you, and I bought a Sony D-35 (same as D-350), made in 1990. It's FAR better in terms of sound quality compared to my Panasonic CT570, which is considered to be among the best modern portables. Read my comparison of the CT570 and D-35.

Look around on Ebay for an old Sony, or that legendary Optimus 3400. You can probably get something very nice sounding for $30-$60, or much more if you go after the more sought-after models like the Optimus or the Sony D555. I got my D-35 for $40.

Jan 28, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

How about Sony D-25S?

I haven't heard it myself, but there are many people here who have, and have posted positive reviews. I've read that most Sony PCDP's produced during that era have a similar sound, so you can expect the D-25S to sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back