How good are IEM's?
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
Never tried IEM's before. Im a noob. How good are they? Do they compare to Planar or Dynamic over the ear's in the same price range?

Thosand dollar IEM comparable to thosand dollar Planar/Dynamic? Better? worse?

Andromeda vs HD800? LCD2? HD650 ?

Less money needed for amplification?

I currently have a desktop setup consisting of : Jotunheim, Bifrost, HD650.

Im downsizing to an RME ADI-2. It supposedly has an excellent IEM output jack.

Are IEM's primarily used for a higher quality then typical Portable device? Like you'd never use them if you had access to a desktop setup?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 16
RME ADI-2 is great with in ears, very clean and precise, IEM s can't compete with full size headphones only in the soundstage department and also the physical feeling of the bass impact from a big planar for example, in all other aspects they can compete, they are small, eazy to drive and are higher value in my opinion (you can get better sound for less money compared to full size headphones)

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 16
It would be helpful to know how Andromeda compares to something like HD800/LCD2/Focal Clear/HD650 etc. Are they roughly in the same league? Would you choose an IEM for desktop use? Or is it just for high end portable use? Would you recommend an IEM noob buy something expensive like Andromeda for the first pair of IEM?

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 16
i use in ears on the desktop, was into full size headphones but i like small things (kind of minimalist) so i moved to in ears only, i had very good full size headphones (HE500, HD800) but i dont have the Andromeda

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 16
When I had a Centrance DACMini CX with Class-A opamp connected to Dunu DN-2000J, it created a great listening experience. Although the overall audio imaging was not quite as detailed as a typical Hifiman planar, for instance, the added stereoptical coherence (single driver responses are never 100% matching by-the-exact-decible-and-exact-frequency, making a larger need for power from amplification) definitely made up for many shortcomings to make a very clean and straightforward listening experience.

A great compromise between a DD-BA-hybrid IEM and over-ear planar would be the Audeze iSine series or Monoprice Monolith M300. Both will need extra accessories for connectivity and comfort, but will absolutely reward your efforts with a very unique audio setup.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Andromeda is very overrated. If you are used to single driver over ears, stick with the same thing when it comes to iems. BA sound is an acquired sound, to you it might sound very unnatural and fake. Try to audition these iems before buying.
And yes the right iems sound just as good as full size cans, and in rare cases even better.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 16
IEMs are great in the sense that they are much more portable than over-the-ear headphones. They also don't attract much attention when you're in public. In terms of sound, full sized headphones offer a MUCH better sound. I own a pair of B&W P7 and they sound much better than IEMs two to three times its price.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 16
IEMs are great in the sense that they are much more portable than over-the-ear headphones. They also don't attract much attention when you're in public. In terms of sound, full sized headphones offer a MUCH better sound. I own a pair of B&W P7 and they sound much better than IEMs two to three times its price.

What are you comparing to when you say that? I have to say that, like most of the other posts so far on this thread, really the only way that IEM's are lacking is in sound stage and the physicality of the bass. Other than that, I'd say that for the money, the right IEM will produce better sound.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 16
What are you comparing to when you say that? I have to say that, like most of the other posts so far on this thread, really the only way that IEM's are lacking is in sound stage and the physicality of the bass. Other than that, I'd say that for the money, the right IEM will produce better sound.
I compared them to the Andromeda S, SE846, and IE800 and I remembered liking my P7 a lot more. I am actually looking for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide between a closed back headphone (likely the Focal Elegia) vs high end IEMs. I really like the subtleness of IEMs but I don't wanna sacrifice sound. Maybe I should make another visit my local Hi-Fi stores.

Feb 3, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 16
I compared them to the Andromeda S, SE846, and IE800 and I remembered liking my P7 a lot more. I am actually looking for an upgrade and I'm trying to decide between a closed back headphone (likely the Focal Elegia) vs high end IEMs. I really like the subtleness of IEMs but I don't wanna sacrifice sound. Maybe I should make another visit my local Hi-Fi stores.

I just got a pair of the SE846 the other day, and I'm enjoying them quite a lot. I also tend to enjoy BA sound though, so... One thing that's a big deal to me is being able to sleep in IEMs, and that's why I don't currently have a pair of customs. They tend to be a little too bulky to sleep in but it might be worth looking into. They tend to have really amazing sound and isolation.

Feb 3, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 16
I just got a pair of the SE846 the other day, and I'm enjoying them quite a lot. I also tend to enjoy BA sound though, so... One thing that's a big deal to me is being able to sleep in IEMs, and that's why I don't currently have a pair of customs. They tend to be a little too bulky to sleep in but it might be worth looking into. They tend to have really amazing sound and isolation.
The SE846 sounded especially bad to my ears. The sound was muffled and very bass-heavy. Also, it is probably not a good idea to sleep with IEMs as it causes damage to the earbuds.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 16
The SE846 sounded especially bad to my ears. The sound was muffled and very bass-heavy. Also, it is probably not a good idea to sleep with IEMs as it causes damage to the earbuds.
I've been sleeping with IEMs for years with the same pair, and had 0 issues.

To my ears, they aren't muffled at all. But I'm also using the blue filters with the foam removed - from what I read, that's the best way to listen to them.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 16
I think it really depends on which IEMs you can get your hands on. I personally am not a fan of IEMs i believe full sized headphones are better. That being said i do have respect for the engineering put into iems.

I tried a pair of IEMs at a meet and share event at work. People brought all kinds of headphones and iems to pass around and try and talk.

I tried a pair of iems that sounded pretty good, it almost reminded me of a pair of of sen 660s. However when i found out the price my jaw almost dropped. They were around 1700$... which is wayyyy more than hd660s. I do belive iems can get a good sound however at a significantly higher cost than headphones due to the size limitations and driver build.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 16
Everything is very subjective.

No matter it is Andromeda, SE846 or HD800 - There'll be fans love them to the max or hater hate them to the max.

I have both full size cans and IEMs - I like to describe full size cans as experience and feeling while IEMs as portability and details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back