How full is your ignore list?
Dec 20, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #121 of 248
Elec,

Spanish is the same way. A book is "libro" (male) but a library is "libroteca" (female) It is female because a library is a home for books. In Spanish, table is mesa (female) because a table is more likely to be associated with a home. Since males were the only one who used to read, anything which a male used became male gender, while anything belonging to a woman's domain (casa, house) would be female gender. Shoe, sapato, is again male gender because they would need shoes to travel to work and market, while the woman would stay at home bare footed. She may have had slippers which in Spanish is female gender. A bus, in Spanish, though is trambia, female gender. I feel that somewhere in the distant past the female was associated with riding a coach or wagon, so it became female gender. A car is male so it is spelt 'carro'. The highway is 'autopista', female. If a sex of an animal can not be readily ascertained it is masculine; so horse becomes caballo. Cows are female by observation so it is baca; bulls are torro. etc.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #122 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Elec,

Spanish is the same way. A book is "libro" (male) but a library is "libroteca" (female) It is female because a library is a home for books. In Spanish, table is mesa (female) because a table is more likely to be associated with a home. Since males were the only one who used to read, anything which a male used became male gender, while anything belonging to a woman's domain (casa, house) would be female gender. Shoe, sapato, is again male gender because they would need shoes to travel to work and market, while the woman would stay at home bare footed. She may have had slippers which in Spanish is female gender. A bus, in Spanish, though is trambia, female gender. I feel that somewhere in the distant past the female was associated with riding a coach or wagon, so it became female gender. A car is male so it is spelt 'carro'. The highway is 'autopista', female. If a sex of an animal can not be readily ascertained it is masculine; so horse becomes caballo. Cows are female by observation so it is baca; bulls are torro. etc.

Wally, I thought that the word for library was biblioteca! Bookstore is librería.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #124 of 248
Bunnyears,

Yep. Can you tell that I don't speak Spanish "too much"?
biggrin.gif

libroteca: http://www.google.com/search?q=libro...en-US:xf_eek:fficial

Onix, is biblioteca proper and libroteca slang? Which is used in Spain? I would think it would be biblioteca. Is libroteca a home library?

Dec 20, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #125 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
I BELIEVE Genetic was referring to the thread, and not a person with his comment. Do correct me if I'm wrong though. Free linguistics mini-lesson over
biggrin.gif

Vous avez parfaitement compris à la fois mes intentions ainsi que le sens de mon message initial.
(Translation: you're right on the money.....
biggrin.gif
)

Amicalement

P.S. Thanks for the linguistic counseling I realy need that. I'll try to do better in 2005...
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #126 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Bunnyears,

Yep. Can you tell that I don't speak Spanish "too much"?
biggrin.gif

libroteca: http://www.google.com/search?q=libro...en-US:xf_eek:fficial

Onix, is biblioteca proper and libroteca slang? Which is used in Spain? I would think it would be biblioteca. Is libroteca a home library?

I never even heard the word Libroteca until just now. I have no idea what it means.

Library = biblioteca
Bookstore = libreria

Also what the heck is a trambia?

bus = autobús

I don't know about the reason for naming things, but the simple rule is that most things that end with O is male and most things that end with A is female.

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #129 of 248
Hmm, not many, but sadly there are a few. The number one thing that gets to me are bully-boy aggro types. And we have a few here. Get a few drinks into them, and they're just spoiling for a fight. Want to show how big they are. And what's funny/sad about it, is that this is the net! How much of a bully can you be if you're too scared to try it in real life? Of course real life bullies are just cowards too, but at least it's a slightly braver kind of coward.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think it says less of me that I don't feel like wasting my time on their posts. I'm not gonna feel guilty about using the ignore feature on such lowlifes.

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #130 of 248
So here’s a response to a statement I made:

“You have to be delusional to think that”

Now what does that have to do with the discussion? Nothing and I really have no reason to read anything else the poster has to Say so another one gets on the Ignore List.

It’s wrong and stupid to think everyone here has something important or meaningful to contribute to the conversation. As such I personally remove the noise from the forums so I can read posts from people who actually contribute and debate the issues.

Mitch

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #133 of 248
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
So here’s a response to a statement I made:

“You have to be delusional to think that”

Now what does that have to do with the discussion? Nothing and I really have no reason to read anything else the poster has to Say so another one gets on the Ignore List.

It’s wrong and stupid to think everyone here has something important or meaningful to contribute to the conversation. As such I personally remove the noise from the forums so I can read posts from people who actually contribute and debate the issues.

Mitch

Dude I have tried to PM you to see if there is anything I can do to work things out with you. I do agree that some of my posts do not contribute to the thread. But when I posted to the thread poster impressions it was because we are new to hp-2 ownership. Now I have looked at your profile and notice that you have hp-2's as well. So why didn't you post an opinion? I believe it is because you have answered the question, read it, debated it a 100 times before. But to me and the thread poster it is new. So I believe that mine and his impressions do contribute to each others impressions.

As for my post count. I have a real enthusiasm for this hobby. And I would like to share it with people and them to share with me. This is the first time ever I have ever participated in a forum and do not always know the conduct of posting. I expect it will drop eventually.

Please get in touch so that I can resolve this matter with you. I did not mean to offend you. Kindest Regards.

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #134 of 248
Here’s another wonderful example of a new Ignore list member.

“if shrub's operatives hadn't fiddle the vote, it would have been a Blue State and thus a simple surrogate for France; (they do make good cheese in ohio, not so good wine). and no shrub, of course.”

This is the individuals entire response to a thread in the Headphone Forum. Now what this has to do with the subject on hand I do not know. Is he contributing to the discussion? Does anything they have to say after this episode of verbal diarrhea matter? I think not and have taken appropriate action.

Stay on subject or stay on my Ignore List.

Mitch

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #135 of 248
Braillediver,
GoRedwings19 wants to work thinks out with you. I'm just passing on the message. I think he may be right that you were talking about him. (not sure though.)

Null,
I'll do you a deal. If you change your avatar into something that doesn't freak people out I'll tell Earwax she can get you off her ignore list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back