How forgiving are ATH M50's?
Oct 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

macro

Head-Fier
I'm almost sold on the M50's; I just wish there was a place I could try them out around here. I like that people are saying they have good sub-bass extension, and they're relatively neutral/accurate across the board. I'm just a little worried they might be overkill for my needs.

I'm wondering how forgiving they are with lower quality mp3s, since a decent chunk of my library is music that isn't available in 320kbps. Is 128kbps listenable on these? How about 192?

I'm also looking for some excellent sub-bass extension. Do I need an amp to maximize the M50's bass extension? Would I get the bass I'm looking for if I just plug them straight into my MacBook Pro without an amp? (for now at least... I'm a broke college student)

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 15
They're very forgiving I've found, but others may not agree with me.

On my AKG K240 and some other neutral headphones i've found I had to re-rip a lot of my lower quality tracks just to get them to sound better. 128kbps files sound like garbage on my K240 and DJ Pro 100. On the HD-600, they're fine. It's just strange.

It's always best to re-rip to 320 if you can. Of course FLAC or ALAC is best. Most of my stuff is ALAC, but sometimes I'm ok with 320kbps.

They sound fine without an amp, but maybe a $20 E5 amp would be a good idea until you can upgrade to a better one. It's not a requirement though.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 15
Thank you for the input! I've read some differing view points on how forgiving they are, so more input on that from others would also be appreciated. 320kbps isn't always an option for some of the more underground stuff I listen to.

Also, are there even any other closed backs to consider in this price range that can match the M50's bass? I really want solid sub-bass without overwhelming mid bass. If M50's are my only option then I guess it doesn't really matter how they sound with shoddy mp3's.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 15
m50 is not forgiven to poor source. my believe is that, any cans that are bass heavy and mids recess will not sound good when feed with poor source. cause bass would make mids and highs even more muddy. it's hard to define poor source. even 128kb mp3 songs can sound good some time if recorded with quality. so you shouldn't too worry about this.

m50 doesn't necessarily need amping, but can benefit from it. down to the source i see you use macbook pro. you may not believe this, i was a believer that onboard sound is just as good as high grade sound card untill i had an external usb dac/amp. you will definately enjoy the improvement in sound a dac/amp brings you over onboard sound.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 15
I'd love to but the nearest guitar center is almost 2 hours away.. I could try at some of the smaller local music shops, but none of them are listed as an authorized dealer on Audio Technica's site and I'm extremely crunched for time lately.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I'd love to but the nearest guitar center is almost 2 hours away.. I could try at some of the smaller local music shops, but none of them are listed as an authorized dealer on Audio Technica's site and I'm extremely crunched for time lately.

Macro if you really want to know if they will work for you. You will have to do one of the two things. One find time to run to Guitar Center and listen to the headphones(bring your mp3 player with you) or Two bite the bullet and order these headphones and if you don't like them return them. My reasoning is this it doesn't matter what people tell you it all depends how the HP sounds to you. Since you are pretty much sold on the HP I would go with option two.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 15
To me the M50s don't work too well with poor recordings due to the midrange. Its pretty sterile and artifacts are pretty evident. To cover up a bad source you want a headphone with a warm sound signature. IMO the M50s are not warm, but that seems to be contrary to popular opinion here.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 15
this man speaks the truth.

honestly, source isnt that big of a deal when moving from, say, ibuds to m50s.  the difference in sound quality will be easily audible.  However  without a decent source you wont be getting the most out of the headphones you buy.  any headphones.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Macro if you really want to know if they will work for you. You will have to do one of the two things. One find time to run to Guitar Center and listen to the headphones(bring your mp3 player with you) or Two bite the bullet and order these headphones and if you don't like them return them. My reasoning is this it doesn't matter what people tell you it all depends how the HP sounds to you. Since you are pretty much sold on the HP I would go with option two.

this man speaks the truth.

honestly, source isnt that big of a deal when moving from, say, ibuds to m50s.  the difference in sound quality will be easily audible.  However  without a decent source you wont be getting the most out of the headphones you buy.  any headphones.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Pandora is what 64kbps quality music? I don't understand how anyone can even remotely expect decent quality with that. Play a 128kbps mp3 through a completely flat/neutral headphone and then the M50. The file will sound like garbage on the neutral headphone. Sony MDR-V6 or M30 will work. Maybe even a very neutral Beyer headphone. It took me almost a year to figure out how many CDs I have are poorly mastered and sound really bad. Some of the classical CDs I own are just so bad...

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the responses, and I've finally come to a decision.

I'm definitely going to order some M50's. From what I've seen I think they'll suit my needs and tastes perfectly. If needed, I'll try to find a decent pair of cheap in ear or portable open back phones for poor sources and for when I need to be more mobile.

Oct 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 15
I literally just ordered them from brianf and I have to say, from listening to my buddies, I was quite impressed.  He told me that his dre beats dont even match compared to his m50s.  They sounded great from his itouch, which from my understanding certainly is not the best source, but I'm pretty excited to try these babies out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back