How exactly does an amp effect sound?
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #16 of 32

I enjoy anime.  I have a crunch roll account, but I'm by no means knowledgeable about it.  I've watched quite a decent amount, but not anywhere near as much as an actual anime fan.  I don't keep up with "current" anime, although I'd really like to.  

I have watched between 70 and 100 days worth of anime. ^_^

Hah, I never knew that about the vents!  That's so odd!  I just tried it.  

You learn something new every day!

To be honest, I haven't really noticed the sound signature change at all.

That's relieving in a way. Now I know to simply get rid of it once I upgrade to the M-100. Or perhaps I should keep it to directly compare, to make sure I don't prefer the LP with any of my music. At the moment, I'm listening to the HDtracks master of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory album with the Crossfade LP. OMG, it sounds EPIC. It's interesting how the LP makes some songs sound bad, but really complements others.

I'll definitely check out your links.  I listen mostly to upbeat electronic music and hype-y hip hop.  

DJ Fresh: Louder [Drumsound & Bassline Smith remix]

shorter mix featured in the intro of the PlayStation Vita video game WipEout 2048

That sounds nice.  Mine are just the original black and chrome.  I ended up replacing the shields with light blue anodized shields with a venom image etched in.  I use my M-100s all through the week and they see a lot of use.  The shields do tend to get scratched up.  I just feel like it adds to their character.  The faux leather on the headband is also all torn up.  I don't actually mind it all that much, but it looks like the M-100 use a different material on the headband.  

I thought you didn't own the M-100 yet.
confused_face_2.gif

Do the DT 770s not come in a 32 ohm model?  

As far as I know, all DT 770 models are 250 ohms.

It's tricky trying to find headphones.  Best buy doesn't allow you to "test" headphones because of their B.S. "hygiene" rules.  NCIX lets me try their headphones, but they have to order most of them from their warehouse, which requires a deposit.  

Some Best Buy stores have Magnolia stores in them, which stock higher-end headphones available for audition. That's where I heard the M-100 once.

If you're lucky, there may be Head-Fi meets in your area. There's a big one coming up in my area in a few months.

What I do is just buy from stores like Amazon with good return policies. If I end up disliking the headphone, I return it.

Also, as a side question. Where do you get your music from?  I just recently moved from youtube-to-mp3.org to Itunes -_-

Haha. YouTube destroys audio quality most of the time. iTunes is a little better, but I stay away from it with the exception of exclusive content such as bonus tracks and alternate masters.

I bought thousands of CDs in the past from shops, online stores, and even directly from record labels. That accounts for most of my music. I have about 50 vinyl records (only because they were rare) and a few hundred digital albums as well.

Here is a large list of some cool digital music stores. With the exception of DSD, high-res is a gimmick, though. The only reason some "HD" PCM downloads sound better than their CD counterparts is due to the fact that they were derived from a different master. Read this article for technical background about it.

I see.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'm willing to spend upwards of $600.  

Ohhh, in that case then, you've got many more options, my BusinessBuddy®!

Speaking of audio and business...I invested like $20-30K into my music collection before having the sense to get good audio gear, and by that time, my budget was pretty low again. (Though I guess I've spent at least $5K on that too, if you count related equipment, but not musical instruments.)

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #17 of 32

I have watched between 70 and 100 days worth of anime. ^_^

I thought you didn't own the M-100 yet.
confused_face_2.gif

That's certainly a lot more anime than I've watched!  

Whoops, that was a typo.  The only V-Moda headphones I own are the LPs.  

Some Best Buy stores have Magnolia stores in them, which stock higher-end headphones available for audition. That's where I heard the M-100 once.

If you're lucky, there may be Head-Fi meets in your area. There's a big one coming up in my area in a few months.

What I do is just buy from stores like Amazon with good return policies. If I end up disliking the headphone, I return it.

Those songs are pretty good.  My favourites:
Madeon - entire discography
Kill Paris - all his songs too (excluding remixes)
Document One - Clap
Kavinsky - Nightcall
Seven Lions - Keep it Close & Polarized
Keys N Krates - Understand Why
Just to name a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4291cptOk&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIFtQgwfH4E&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsw3TaZbOno&spfreload=10

I don't believe they have Mongolia stores here in Canada.  I'm not sure if there would be any meets here either.  I should browse Amazon if they allow returns.  

Haha. YouTube destroys audio quality most of the time. iTunes is a little better, but I stay away from it with the exception of exclusive content such as bonus tracks and alternate masters.

I bought thousands of CDs in the past from shops, online stores, and even directly from record labels. That accounts for most of my music. I have about 50 vinyl records (only because they were rare) and a few hundred digital albums as well.

Here is a large list of some cool digital music stores. With the exception of DSD, high-res is a gimmick, though. The only reason some "HD" PCM downloads sound better than their CD counterparts is due to the fact that they were derived from a different master. Read this article for technical background about it.

Ohhh, in that case then, you've got many more options, my BusinessBuddy®!

Speaking of audio and business...I invested like $20-30K into my music collection before having the sense to get good audio gear, and by that time, my budget was pretty low again. (Though I guess I've spent at least $5K on that too, if you count related equipment, but not musical instruments.)

Great, I have new stores to browse!  That's a really extensive music collection!  

Jan 31, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 32

That's certainly a lot more anime than I've watched!  

Some of the stuff I've seen would blow your mind. I highly recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

Whoops, that was a typo.  The only V-Moda headphones I own are the LPs.  

Yeah, I know. lol

Those songs are pretty good.  My favourites:

Wish I had time to check 'em out, but alas, life.

I don't believe they have Mongolia stores here in Canada.

Magnolia? Nawww. Mongolia is clearly the preferred term.
tongue.gif

I'm not sure if there would be any meets here either.  I should browse Amazon if they allow returns.

I think there are occasionally. I've talked to other Canadian Head-Fiers. I believe the US Amazon does offer returns even to Canadians, but ask them to make sure. Even if so, there will be other issues to deal with, like import fees, customs, taxes, etc.

Great, I have new stores to browse!  That's a really extensive music collection!  

I sort of regret getting so much music. Could've gotten multiple top-of-the-line headphone systems instead.

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 32

Some of the stuff I've seen would blow your mind. I highly recommend Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

I actually started watching the original FMA about 6 months ago.  I only watched it for a day or two.  I enjoyed it, but I ended up switching to the next anime.  

Magnolia? Nawww. Mongolia is clearly the preferred term.
tongue.gif

I think there are occasionally. I've talked to other Canadian Head-Fiers. I believe the US Amazon does offer returns even to Canadians, but ask them to make sure. Even if so, there will be other issues to deal with, like import fees, customs, taxes, etc.

I sort of regret getting so much music. Could've gotten multiple top-of-the-line headphone systems instead.

Auto correct caught that one.  I didn't even notice it  0.o

Yea, Sennheisers are ridiculously overpriced here.  It's just that that one particular brand for some reason.  

Headphones...or a car XD  I was thinking that you could have bought a used Porsche Cayman for that amount, or maybe the New Mustang.  

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 32

I actually started watching the original FMA about 6 months ago.  I only watched it for a day or two.  I enjoyed it, but I ended up switching to the next anime.

FMAB is so much better it's not even funny. It's based on the manga and is the only anime I would award a 10/10 rating.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed FMA as well. It has more filler and unfortunately saves the best for last, so to speak.

I'm curious what your top few favorite anime so far are.

Yea, Sennheisers are ridiculously overpriced here.  It's just that that one particular brand for some reason.  

I'm returning a pair of nice Sennheisers once I wake up, only because I suspect them to be defective.

Headphones...or a car XD  I was thinking that you could have bought a used Porsche Cayman for that amount, or maybe the New Mustang.  

Psh. Who needs a fancy car when you can have headphones that can transport you anywhere musically? =P

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #21 of 32

FMAB is so much better it's not even funny. It's based on the manga and is the only anime I would award a 10/10 rating.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed FMA as well. It has more filler and unfortunately saves the best for last, so to speak.

I'm curious what your top few favorite anime so far are.

I'm returning a pair of nice Sennheisers once I wake up, only because I suspect them to be defective.

Psh. Who needs a fancy car when you can have headphones that can transport you anywhere musically? =P

Should I finish watching FMA before I watch FMAB?  

My favourite anime:
Ghost in the Shell (Watched movies, haven't finished the T.V. show)
Death Note (I 've watched most of it, but I missed a few episodes)
Elfen Lied
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Attack on Titan
Wolf's Rain (Haven't finished, but I absolutely love it)
The most recent anime I've watched is "Free!"  It's kinda lighthearted and fun.  I really like it, but it's not on par with the one I named above, imo.  

I've seen other anime that I really enjoyed, but these are the ones that REALLY stuck with me.  

There are quite a few that I grew up watching, but it's been so song that I don't remember them so well.  Those are:
Gundam (Seed Destiny)
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Zatch Bell
Zoids
Bleach
Hamtaro - fun for kids
Berserk
Inu Yasha
Naruto
Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo
Dragon Ball Z, GT, etc.

I haven't finished watching any of these, but I've made it a good way through most of them.  Even so, most of these I watched so long ago, I hardly remember them.  I was only able to remember them because I keep a list of my favourite movies and anime.  

Animes I want to watch:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Getsu Weed

I have a few friends who are into anime and they keep mentioning Sword Art Online.  I may give that one a go at some point.  

What do you think is defective about your Sennheiser headphones?  

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #22 of 32

Why are there weird spaces after some of your sentences? I only noticed it when I went to quote them.

Should I finish watching FMA before I watch FMAB?  

It's not necessary. FMAB is a remake based on the manga, whereas FMA mostly had its own original story.

Elfen Lied Spirited Away
Attack on Titan
Wolf's Rain
Yu-Yu Hakusho

I've seen these ones.

The final episode of Wolf's Rain is a masterpiece.

The Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack is my favorite anime soundtrack, though I didn't like the anime nearly as much as the music.

If you liked Elfen Lied, you should watch Blood-C. Just 12 episodes. Even more brutal and gory in the later episodes. Ironically, the sequel movie Blood-C: The Last Dark received funding from the Japanese government! (But it was more mainstream, with hardly any violence compared to the series.)

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (aka When They Cry) is a must-watch. Has the most confusing plot ever. The second season makes everything clear. Not as gory as the aforementioned two anime, but much, much better, and more emotionally intense. And despite being less gory, it's arguably more realistically violent (instead of fantasy nonsense) and demented at times.

What do you think is defective about your Sennheiser headphones?

Sounds very muffled, like I'm listening to music from outside a building. (In contrast to being bright, detailed, and exciting, like all the reviews say.)

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 32

Why are there weird spaces after some of your sentences? I only noticed it when I went to quote them.

I really don't know. :/

The final episode of Wolf's Rain is a masterpiece.

The Attack On Titan Original Soundtrack is my favorite anime soundtrack, though I didn't like the anime nearly as much as the music.

If you liked Elfen Lied, you should watch Blood-C. Just 12 episodes. Even more brutal and gory in the later episodes. Ironically, the sequel movie Blood-C: The Last Dark received funding from the Japanese government! (But it was more mainstream, with hardly any violence compared to the series.)

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (aka When They Cry) is a must-watch. Has the most confusing plot ever. The second season makes everything clear. Not as gory as the aforementioned two anime, but much, much better, and more emotionally intense. And despite being less gory, it's arguably more realistically violent (instead of fantasy nonsense) and demented at times.

Now I really want to go and finish watching Wolf's Rain.  I'll definitely add Blood-C to my must watch list.  I think I may have heard of "When They Cry".  I'll look into that one as well.  

I'd highly recommend that you watch Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell and Death Note.  Princess Mononoke was the first movie I ever remember watching.  It's an incredibly creative story and it has so many memorable images.  Ghost in the Shell is just plain awesome!  It also have some very interesting themes.  Death Note is a very original idea.  It's a brain wrencher.  It's constant, elaborate mind games.  

I think out of the ones I named, Princess Mononoke and Bersersk are considered to be "classics".  I find Berserk to be a little campy at times, but it's entertaining.   

where do you watch your anime?  I watch mine on Crunchy Roll, if it's there.  I think all of their shows are subbed.  I prefer dubbed, so I can actually watch what's going on in the frame.  I used to use Anime Freak, but the quality tend to be poor there.  My friends told me about Kiss Anime, so I may check that out now.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 32
  I really don't know. :/

Now I really want to go and finish watching Wolf's Rain.  I'll definitely add Blood-C to my must watch list.  I think I may have heard of "When They Cry".  I'll look into that one as well.  

I'd highly recommend that you watch Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell and Death Note.  Princess Mononoke was the first movie I ever remember watching.  It's an incredibly creative story and it has so many memorable images.  Ghost in the Shell is just plain awesome!  It also have some very interesting themes.  Death Note is a very original idea.  It's a brain wrencher.  It's constant, elaborate mind games.  

I think out of the ones I named, Princess Mononoke and Bersersk are considered to be "classics".  I find Berserk to be a little campy at times, but it's entertaining.   

where do you watch your anime?  I watch mine on Crunchy Roll, if it's there.  I think all of their shows are subbed.  I prefer dubbed, so I can actually watch what's going on in the frame.  I used to use Anime Freak, but the quality tend to be poor there.  My friends told me about Kiss Anime, so I may check that out now.

Blood-C isn't that good of an anime objectively, but it's still a must-watch because of how crazy it is.

I've seen some Ghost In The Shell stuff. (I only quoted the ones in which I saw the complete series.)

I met a girl at a grocery store who was wearing a Death Note shirt. We became friends and had anime parties together a few times.

Wait a second...you watched Berserk growing up?!

Most serious anime watchers either buy the DVDs and Blu-rays or use torrents to download everything in high quality. Many streaming sites have horrible audio and video quality. For series I like enough to watch multiple times, I watch both dub and sub.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 32

Blood-C isn't that good of an anime objectively, but it's still a must-watch because of how crazy it is.

I've seen some Ghost In The Shell stuff. (I only quoted the ones in which I saw the complete series.)

I met a girl at a grocery store who was wearing a Death Note shirt. We became friends and had anime parties together a few times.

Wait a second...you watched Berserk growing up?!

Most serious anime watchers either buy the DVDs and Blu-rays or use torrents to download everything in high quality. Many streaming sites have horrible audio and video quality. For series I like enough to watch multiple times, I watch both dub and sub.

I watched the first episode of Blood-C last night.  That floating statue thing was weird.  Is it some demon slaying anime?  

I actually watched Berserk only last year.  It just feels like it was long ago.  Probably because of the dated animation style.  

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #27 of 32
Amplification is about driving headphones with more authority, making them sound better at the same output level.

Most headphones under $500 don't need an amp at all. Some of those may "scale" with an amp, but usually not by much. The real benefits of amps manifest when you have high impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones - the ones that actually need an amp to shine.

A side-effect of amping, whether you need it or not, is being able to attain higher volume.

As far as purchase advice goes, don't even bother with an amp until you know you need it. Getting better headphones will always yield a far greater return on your investment.

P.S. Spyro. Awesome.

Very good explanation. Simple and straight to the point definitely help me understand amps a little more

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #28 of 32
Wanna know something strange in my experience?

Unamped HD 600 for me sounds no different than amped HD 600's///

Maybe I'm stupid or just need to try some higher end stuff....

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 32
  Wanna know something strange in my experience?

Unamped HD 600 for me sounds no different than amped HD 600's///

Maybe I'm stupid or just need to try some higher end stuff....

All that matters is your own experience. Audio is very system dependent and even more dependent on your own hearing.

The fundamental character of a headphone certainly won't be altered with an amp, except in extreme circumstances.

I forgot from your posts in other threads: what unamped sources did you compare to?

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #30 of 32

All that matters is your own experience. Audio is very system dependent and even more dependent on your own hearing.

I forgot from your posts in other threads: what unamped sources did you compare to?

Phone's, Computer audio, and this Bose music player

I mean I can tell differences between 320 kbps mp3 and FLAC/AAC/CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back