How easy/hard to mod DT 800s to dual entry balanced?
Jan 23, 2022 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I was thinking of grabbing a pair of these in 600 ohm. They really cry out for a balanced cable but stock they're single entry.

I am looking over the forums now, the pics I have seen of the solder lugs look reasonable. Is it easy to work on these without burning up wiring? Are these headphones easy to take apart without destroying them?

Can anybody recommend a source of mini XLR jacks in the EU? I expect I would be able to use my Audeze balanced cables for these if I can do the mod I was thinking of.

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 6
A guy on Etsy does the mod for $100, but for that you could get a Magni Heresy and both keep their value. On eBay the last modded dt880 600 ohm for balanced sold for $165 so you might take a big loss compared to just getting a Heresy. I like the 250 ohm a lot better and have on from hhgregg coming tomorrow.

Jan 23, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 6
A guy on Etsy does the mod for $100, but for that you could get a Magni Heresy and both keep their value. On eBay the last modded dt880 600 ohm for balanced sold for $165 so you might take a big loss compared to just getting a Heresy. I like the 250 ohm a lot better and have on from hhgregg coming tomorrow.
I'm not looking for somebody to do the work, but I don't have any experience chopping up headphones so I wanted to ask about it.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Beyers are very easy to work on. If you Google "mod beyer diyaudioblog" you'll see a couple examples. If you want to install dual entry jacks you open up the cups, desolder and remove the drivers, remove the cable, round out the existing square hole, then drill or dremel a new hole on the other cup, install your jacks, use adhesive if necessary, wire the jacks to the drivers, put everything back together and you are done. The 770, 880, and 990 are all very similar inside.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Beyers are very easy to work on. If you Google "mod beyer diyaudioblog" you'll see a couple examples. If you want to install dual entry jacks you open up the cups, desolder and remove the drivers, remove the cable, round out the existing square hole, then drill or dremel a new hole on the other cup, install your jacks, use adhesive if necessary, wire the jacks to the drivers, put everything back together and you are done. The 770, 880, and 990 are all very similar inside.
Thanks, I watched some of the @jfunk videos on youtube (he's the great guy who runs customcans.co.uk) and it looked better than I thought. He did not seem concerned to keep a soldering iron tip on the lugs for a while as he desoldered the original leads.

On some Sennheisers, the wires to the driver are hair thin and I was afraid of burning the Beyer if it was similar. The Beyer lugs look better than I expected.

I'll have to see how much spare cups are just in case.

Yeah, I was thinking dual entry would be better, I really don't like single entry or crossover wires anyway and for me the point of this is to run balanced.

I'll check out the link you mentioned :)

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 6
Right the Beyers have little solder pads to get the super thin diaphragm wire away from the iron. There are headphones out there where the wire will literally disappear when heat is put on it, and there are drivers that die if the iron is on them for longer than a fraction of a second. Fortunately Beyers are very forgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back