How easily are the KSC-75's driven?
Feb 13, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pants
i plan on getting a Zen Micro sometime soon here, and wanted to know how well the KSC-75's will be driven by it, as i dont plan on getting an amp

yep, ksc75's certainly dont need an amp. And I thought they sounded great with the micro; better than other ones i listened to it with

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Unless you buy an amp that offers HRTF processing, the KSC-75's will not see much improvement from an amp.

Amps only help when you've got particularly current hungry, high-impedance headphones (e.g. Senn 580/600/650) or extremely low impedance.

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by citroeniste
Unless you buy an amp that offers HRTF processing, the KSC-75's will not see much improvement from an amp.

Amps only help when you've got particularly current hungry, high-impedance headphones (e.g. Senn 580/600/650) or extremely low impedance.

i disagree. the 60 ohm koss series sounds considerably better amped than unamped to my ear. having said that, they still sound great unamped.

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Disagree, the KSC midbass cleans up and midrange projects just a little more cleanly with even a modest cmoy or single OP amp circuit.

**edit**
to the OP.... they dont need an amp to get very loud though. But they certainly benefeit from having one

Garrett

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 14
Everyone who thinks these things improve with "just an amp" (i.e. no HRTF compensation) needs to do a level-matched blind test.

What you will find upon doing so is that your current opinions are in fact unsupportable unless the equipment you are using has a truly anemic headphone jack. Anything that has at least as high quality as a 4G iPod will be indistinguishable from any nonbroken (flat FR, low distortion, etc.) dedicated headphone amp lacking HRTF compensation, or with said compensation turned off.

Obviously, an HRTF compensation circuit changes the game quite a bit....

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Everyone who thinks these things improve with "just an amp" (i.e. no HRTF compensation) needs to do a level-matched blind test.

What you will find upon doing so is that your current opinions are in fact unsupportable unless the equipment you are using has a truly anemic headphone jack. Anything that has at least as high quality as a 4G iPod will be indistinguishable from any nonbroken (flat FR, low distortion, etc.) dedicated headphone amp lacking HRTF compensation, or with said compensation turned off.

B$. the sound difference between amped and unamped 60 ohm koss phones is not subtle. it is so not subtle that i, follower of the james randi school of skepticism, don't think that a blind test is required.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I can hear a difference with an amp. They definitely benefit from one...An adapter helps, too.

Feb 14, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

The difference between an amped koss 60 ohm driver and unamped is noticeable and IMHO significant.

Garrett

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 14
they sound great through a Pimeta, big difference in the lows and mids, highs sound like articulate high hats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back