How durable (longevity) are the Soundmagic PL50?
Jun 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mystvearn

New Head-Fier
I've pretty much made up my mind that this is the highest amount of cash (£38 excluding shipping) I'm going to buy an earphone. I've used cheap sony MDR earbuds which came with my walkman 5 years ago and its still going. I'd figure an upgraded earphone would be good since I use them occasionally like flights, long train journeys but not for daily commute-though upgrading earphones will result in the lack of mic. Ia also noticed that when I compared the new included earbuds and one IEM to my 5 year old sony MDR earbud the sony's sound is softer. Maybe its showing its age but I need to crank up the volume even more. I've google around and saw that some people had to RMA their product as there is a failure in their drivers and it takes forever to get back. this is the only thing I am worried since I just place my cheap earphones in the bag and not in some custom case to protect them. Also since the PL50 have been out for few years now, I would really like to know from owners about their ruggedness as £40 is almost my monthly grocery shopping
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had my PL50s since March of 2010 and they're still going strong. Granted, I've been careful with them (They come with a little round hard shell case that I always store them in) but they haven't shown the slightest signs of fatigue, physically or sound-wise. I've heard these are pretty durable anyway if you don't use the case that comes with them but I've never tested that. If you're worried about the possibility of an RMA, MP4Nation.net has a friendly policy. That's where I bought mine, and the guy behind the business is an active Head-Fi'er (Raz). I've dealt with his crew in the customer service dept. and they were very helpful untangling my mess when I accidentally ordered some IEMs to the wrong address (I moved recently). Their RMA policy is quite forgiving (See their site) but it still might take a while because you'd have to ship it back to Hong Kong. You could have them shipped by EMS (More expensive) if you want them faster. You're in for a real treat if you're upgrading from cheap Sony's. You really can't miss with PL50s, in my experience. Just as an aside, if you get them I'd recommend using the largest eartips that come with it, I have normal-sized ears and this was the only way for me to get a good seal (Sounded tinny before I did this). Since you mentioned flights, I've used them on many and they isolate very well with a good seal, enough to isolate you from the noisy passengers behind you. Hope this helps and ask more questions if you need it.

*Note that I do not endorse MP4Nation, just sharing my experience with them.

-- iem222

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 6
I noticed the pouch is different compared to the review units which I have read about soundmagic. Is this an updated version?
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=330

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 6
It used to come with a hardcase (2 years ago), but it seems most of the SoundMAGIC comes with soft pouch these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back