How does your MBA score?
Sep 21, 2005 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Glod

1000+ Head-Fier
The Wall Street Journal/Harris Interactive Business School Survey has been published.

Any surprises?

BTW. I´m a social scientist
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 15
I've been pondering getting an MBA lately. I went to UofMich Ann Arbor for my EE, and their business school is always in the top 3 usually going back and forth with Penn (Wharton.) Not sure when Dartmouth got thrown into the mix. Here's the cool part: If I did get an MBA it would probably be through UofMich Dearborn. I imagine that would be way cheaper than Ann Arbor campus, quite a bit easier, and I'll still get to say I went to Michigan Business!

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 15
I teach at the #18 Regional School. Just FYI, this poll is not an overall ranking of MBA Programs but is an assessment of how corporate recruiters regard students from various programs.

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 15
My MBA is from The University of Kansas, proudly unranked, but an excellent program nonetheless.

Sep 21, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I teach at the #18 Regional School. Just FYI, this poll is not an overall ranking of MBA Programs but is an assessment of how corporate recruiters regard students from various programs.

Everything is in the eye of the beholder.
tongue.gif
No, serious, I do not care much for these kind of surveys. However, I think they cannot be ignored all together (unfortunately). Some of them have the power to change popular believes and ultimately, possibly, governmental subsedies.
eek.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Hmm, I had looked at the WSJ rankings when applying to schools few years ago, and they pretty much confirmed my prior impressions. For finance, Wharton was clearly the place to be at, with Chicago a distant second and Columbia and NYU following even further behind.

I actually only applied to two schools, Wharton and NYU. Wharton because I thought it was the best program and attracted the best people - but I didn't make Wharton (not good, getting into a pissing match with your alumni interviewer... we had a total ego clash).

I wasn't interested in Chicago, as just the vibe/culture I got was it was a bit more on the academic side than I wanted. NYU impressed me over Columbia every time - hard to put your finger on it. Maybe just a better cultural fit.

Anyway, I'm sure I gave up something by not going to Columbia (I did want to be in NYC), but I just didn't feel the need to put another brand-name Ivy League on the resume, and was confident NYU would get me exactly where I wanted. I guess I was pretty comfortable just applying to Wharton as my risky top-choice and NYU as an almost guaranteed admission at a school I'd be very happy at. I actually deferred a year after being accepted, and never felt the need to reapply to Wharton or any other school.

As for the rankings, I dunno, I suppose I have no problem with them. I've met Columbia and Wharton grads and they are impressive as very capable and intelligent people. But at the same time, I am continually impressed with the caliber of the students at NYU, its resources and the entire experience.

What's interesting about the rankings, besides their methodology of using corporate recruiters (which I somewhat question - this is getting data from HR people when fundamentally HR is a step away from the main function of most corporations, and of course this survey is biased towards the needs of corporations), is how clearly there are leaders in certain fields. Look at the numbers for Harvard for strategy, Kellogg for marketing, Wharton for finance - there are huge perceived gaps between #1 and #2. Dunno what that really means for the world of an MBA education.

Best regards,

-Jason

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 15
This list's division into "national" and "regional" is wack, since some of the schools on the regional list certainly purport to be national.

Sep 22, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 15
I was surprised to see Uni of Western Ontario, and York University up there, but not Queen's and U of Toronto's biz schools. strange... seems a little biased in some ways, cause the 4 above mentioned schools are the top in Canada, and are always in the top 4 Canadian biz schools.
I could be wrong... oh well.

Sep 22, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 15
This article from this week's Economist about b-school rankings is kind of interesting. Apparently the reason Wharton and Harvard aren't on the WSJ list is that they wouldn't give their students' personal info to the rankers.

Eric

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto
This article from this week's Economist about b-school rankings is kind of interesting. Apparently the reason Wharton and Harvard aren't on the WSJ list is that they wouldn't give their students' personal info to the rankers.

Eric

Wharton and Harvard are both on the WSJ list - just farther down than you'd expect. Wharton is 6th, and HBS 15th - recruiters say that HBS grads have a "sense of entitlement" and thus they don't like the HBS grads as much.

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
recruiters say that HBS grads have a "sense of entitlement" and thus they don't like the HBS grads as much.

I can't say I've ever been impressed with recruiters at any organization I've ever dealt with. At best they are, and should be, an important and supportive part of an organization. But at the end of the day, they'll never go beyond being support staff. If they do they job well, they'll get you the right people to help you make money, but they will never make money for you. They are a necessary expense.

I'd rather ask the partners/managing directors of organizations which schools have/prepare the best new blood for their organizations. Sure HR plays an important role in the recruiting process, but beyond that first job, once you make your networks in the field, it's the opinions of the rainmakers that matter. But I guess getting those people to respond to your survey is a lot more difficult. After all, they're the ones busy bringing in the money.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back