How does the UE TF10 sound compared to HD 558s?
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 8
I have them both .. 

I got my Triple Fi's before getting my 558 and let me tell you .. I almost sold my 558's when i did the initial comparison.

The benefits of having the Triple Fi vs the 558 is the extra clarity with treble extension and controlled Bass while maintaining very decent soundstage for an IEM.

Portability.

The advantage of the HD558:

Overall Comfort, (It is full sized after all). A more mid centric and warmer sound signature (Bass is not as controlled but mine tightened up a bit after burn in).

Better imaging due to it being an over the ear headphone vs an IEM. 

At the end of the day i have come to appreciate both of them as in my opinion they excel at different things and i use my Triple Fi at work or whenever i need portability and i use the HD 558 at home when im relaxing and i don't need to have as much details in the music.

If you have any more specific questions let me know and ill try to answer them for you.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the feedback, I knew someone here would have both!

I don't plan on taking the TF10s outside so assuming portability wasn't an issue, which would you prefer? The biggest problem I have with the 558s is that while I really like the forward vocals, they get piercing at times. Everything else, the clarity, detail, and soundstage, etc is perfect.

Quote:
I have them both .. 

I got my Triple Fi's before getting my 558 and let me tell you .. I almost sold my 558's when i did the initial comparison.

The benefits of having the Triple Fi vs the 558 is the extra clarity with treble extension and controlled Bass while maintaining very decent soundstage for an IEM.

Portability.

The advantage of the HD558:

Overall Comfort, (It is full sized after all). A more mid centric and warmer sound signature (Bass is not as controlled but mine tightened up a bit after burn in).

Better imaging due to it being an over the ear headphone vs an IEM. 

At the end of the day i have come to appreciate both of them as in my opinion they excel at different things and i use my Triple Fi at work or whenever i need portability and i use the HD 558 at home when im relaxing and i don't need to have as much details in the music.

If you have any more specific questions let me know and ill try to answer them for you.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 8
I have both, and have to agree with Maxis's opinion of the two.  The Triple.fi has more bass impact as well.  I run them through my cMoy Bass Boost amp, and often use the bass boost feature with the 558's to give it a thicker low end, but don't do the same with the TF10's.  The 558's are unquestionably more comfortable.  The TF10's have a more sparkly treble, IMO, but they're both excellent.  I listen to both at work, and split time about 50/50.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 8
To answer your question if i had to part with one i would part with the Senns. The reason being is the fact that the TF10 has more detail retrieval  and i prefer the slight v sound signature (Good Bass slightly recessed mids Good Treble) and the soundstage is there. HOWEVER, I do not recommend getting rid of any of the two unless you are planning to move up the chain to customs or you really don't like any of their particular sound signatures.

In my experience they really do complement each other. The Senns for their more forward mid range and relaxed warm bias presentation vs the Triple Fi 10 with good bass, a less mid focused presentation and a slight focus on treble extension. 

And both excel at giving that expansive airy soundstage. (Not every IEM can do that) (Im looking at you Westone ..)

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 8
The reason why I am considering not keeping the TF10s is because I am looking at a pair of M50s since portability is not a concern and their price are similar. From what I understand, both that and the TF10 and the M50 has a fairly similar sound signature and both are pretty much polar opposites to the 558. On top of that, the cable for on the Ultimate Ears supposedly fall aparts easily? (I would not want to spend upwards of $50 for a new cable).

Comments on the M50s and/or the cabling?

Thanks again!

Quote:
To answer your question if i had to part with one i would part with the Senns. The reason being is the fact that the TF10 has more detail retrieval  and i prefer the slight v sound signature (Good Bass slightly recessed mids Good Treble) and the soundstage is there. HOWEVER, I do not recommend getting rid of any of the two unless you are planning to move up the chain to customs or you really don't like any of their particular sound signatures.

In my experience they really do complement each other. The Senns for their more forward mid range and relaxed warm bias presentation vs the Triple Fi 10 with good bass, a less mid focused presentation and a slight focus on treble extension. 

And both excel at giving that expansive airy soundstage. (Not every IEM can do that) (Im looking at you Westone ..)

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 8
Getting an M50 is a step down in my opinion. but if thats your preference i cant stop you. As for the cable, I think you should be a little more happy you can freely replace the cable than be stuck with a headphone that has a undetachable broken cable. The cable in my experience last at least a year. This may not be the case for others but i think its a matter of how well the equipment is cared for.

But if you think the Triple Fi isnt for you .. no problem .. I just think however that you get a lot more details and resolution out of the IEM's than what an M50 would give you. If thats not important then go for it .

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 8

+1 the M-50 is definately a step down in SQ.  
Quote:
Getting an M50 is a step down in my opinion. but if thats your preference i cant stop you. As for the cable, I think you should be a little more happy you can freely replace the cable than be stuck with a headphone that has a undetachable broken cable. The cable in my experience last at least a year. This may not be the case for others but i think its a matter of how well the equipment is cared for.

But if you think the Triple Fi isnt for you .. no problem .. I just think however that you get a lot more details and resolution out of the IEM's than what an M50 would give you. If thats not important then go for it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back