How does the Sony MDR-1R compares to the M-Audio Q40?
Jun 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Sound:
Q40, very bassy decent mids and good non-fatiguing highs.
1R, not bassy, more mids than Q40, and good highs. Some might want a bit more sparkle.
If you want bass go for the Q40, if you can live without bass than go for the 1R.

Comfort:
1R easily win
Q40 will need alternate pads and/or mods for comfort.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Sound:
1R, not bassy, more mids than Q40, and good highs. Some might want a bit more sparkle.

Comfort:
1R easily win

Does the 1R still have a good punch to it? 

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Sound:
If you want bass go for the Q40, if you can live without bass than go for the 1R.

Comfort:
1R easily win

I want a good thump + good sound quality aswell.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Does the 1R still have a good punch to it? 

It depends on how much bass you're looking for. You might be able to get entry level basshead bass if you amp it with bass boost turned on. 
I don't use the 1R for anything bassy, to me it's lacking and a bit slow, I use the 1R for country and other non-bassy music.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
It depends on how much bass you're looking for. You might be able to get entry level basshead bass if you amp it with bass boost turned on. 
I don't use the 1R for anything bassy, to me it's lacking. 

I can get the Q40's with a amp around the same price as the 1R without one. Do you know any good amps under €80,- ($100) for the Q40's to improve sound quality?

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 8
The Q40 will sound good with any FiiO amp. Right now I'm using the E11 with my Q40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back