How Does the MiniMax Compare To the M^3???
Apr 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
For those who've heard both... if anyone...

How does the sound of the Millett Hybrid MiniMax compare to the sound of the SS M^3?

I would expect it to be similar, except that the MiniMax likely has a bit warmer, richer sound.

Just curious... since my original interest was in the M^3... before... I was diverted to the MiniMax.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 3
I have a Minimax and I'm building an M^3 now so I'll let you know in about a week! One thing that I'm expecting to make a difference is that I'm building an s11 to power the M3 whereas the minimax has it's own onboard PSU fed by a wallwart. It makes my M3 build a bit more complicated but I'm hoping it'll be worth it. Also, not sure if you're planning on building them yourself or not, but the fact that the minimax has an enclosure that's pre-drilled and everything will make that quite a bit easier to put together.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 3
The Sigma11 is better than the STEPS (though you're really getting into the last few percent of noticeable difference here).

I like the Millet MAX (BJT version more than MOSFTET personally), but like the M^3 even more (both in design and in sound).

With good opamp choices, the M^3 can sound very good with great level of detail and a lush sound signature while the MilletMAX always has always been less analytical than I like (though it is a great thing for less than perfect recordings/systems).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back