How does the iMod hold against other high-quality players?
Sep 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Wooter

New Head-Fier
I was wondering, should one consider the iMod to be the best of the best when talking portable players? Or is there a different player that blows it right out off the water?

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 54
Technically the iriver H120 should sound better when you use the optical out since you can just hook it up with your own dac. Though I have never listened to both setups and I also dont know the internal mechanics of the H120. That optical out might not be a true digital signal. You might wanna look at some quality pcdp;s too. They should technically sound better with your own dac/amp.

If we are not talking about portable setups then a pair of ESL speakers hooked up to a tube amplifier with a high quality CD player should blow everything away.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 54
The comments on it needing the cap dock (v-cap dock) instead of just tiny blackgates in the LOD are right. That's where it picks up a significant second boost

The cap dock I use eats up the v-cap dock, though. So there's potential - but whether it's worth the cost, space and weight is a very questionable thing

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comments on it needing the cap dock (v-cap dock) instead of just tiny blackgates in the LOD are right. That's where it picks up a significant second boost

The cap dock I use eats up the v-cap dock, though. So there's potential - but whether it's worth the cost, space and weight is a very questionable thing

Luminette,
Can you please say something about the cap dock you use.
The one which eats up the v-cap dock.
Is this a dock you made? Or a dock which you bought?
Harvey

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 54
Conundrum here.

For portable use, the environment is not usually 100% conducive to serious listening, so the ultimate in SQ is not really necessary IMO. The iMod with the ALO cable meant just for it, while maybe not as good as the docking solution discussed by others here, is really really good. Into an iQube (perfect size), lashed together with the bands iQube gives you, then using good portable closed phones (be nice to the people around you) and you have a superb solution.

If you want use an iPod totally at home with a dock then the Wadia iPod doc bypasses all the iPod playback electronics, and you get a bit perfect signal into your choice of DAC and AMP. For me it will be a Wadia DAC and a balanced Beta 22, into open cans with balanced cable mod.

But I think only an iPod will work in the Wadia dock, not an iMod. So I am condemed to use two iPods, one iMod one not. I got identical units except for color (black and silver) and iTunes keeps them both in sync perfectly. Still, not the best.

So I'm very interested in this doc solution for the iMod!

Back to the OP question -- iMod is the best thing out there IMO. Certainly beats my Cowon and Sansa.

Sep 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 54
the source is still portable and not made for hi fidelity.

all the imod does is deliver a clear signal from a tiny tiny dac not made for hi fidelity....the signal produce is probably one of the best for amplification on the market. but still thin and powered by a portable battery.... v caps help.

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the source is still portable and not made for hi fidelity.

all the imod does is deliver a clear signal from a tiny tiny dac not made for hi fidelity....the signal produce is probably one of the best for amplification on the market. but still thin and powered by a portable battery.... v caps help.

Hence a Dock like the V-Caps would just give the DAC more power? Or what are the other benefits? Why do you think just with a V-Cap you can really gain great sound?

@Luminette: What is the dock you use? What other alternatives are on the market?

regards timo

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 54
All portables are too childish to speak about real sq. Unless they're hooked via digital connection to serious dac, they're all the same, for better or worse. Toy-ish dacs aren't going to produce good sound no matter what caps you're putting or taking out of there...

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All portables are too childish to speak about real sq. Unless they're hooked via digital connection to serious dac, they're all the same, for better or worse. Toy-ish dacs aren't going to produce good sound no matter what caps you're putting or taking out of there...

Unfortunately I cant buy a Home-Audio-System at the moment. I hear a lot of music at home and on the way. So the iMod would be really perfect for me! Maybe I am also not that audiophile like you
smily_headphones1.gif

Which Docks can you recommend, which you need at least to get a brilliant sound out of the iMod? And which Cables?

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 54
QQQ - the Wolfson DAC chip in the 5.5Gen iPod is as good as many of the DAC chips found in home equipment (not the real high-end DACs of course, but still).

So the iMod take the output from that DAC and delivers it to (say) an iQube which, for driving easy-to-drive phones, ain't half bad. It's not a beta22 in your pocket, but pretty good SQ.

Many of us here claim to be able to rank portable amps on SQ -- not all the same, really.

Yep, there are toys out there. I've seen the toy amps. But the good ones do deliver SQ to write home about, at least off an iMod -- some of us here think so, anyway.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QQQ - the Wolfson DAC chip in the 5.5Gen iPod is as good as many of the DAC chips found in home equipment (not the real high-end DACs of course, but still).

So the iMod take the output from that DAC and delivers it to (say) an iQube which, for driving easy-to-drive phones, ain't half bad. It's not a beta22 in your pocket, but pretty good SQ.

Many of us here claim to be able to rank portable amps on SQ -- not all the same, really.

Yep, there are toys out there. I've seen the toy amps. But the good ones do deliver SQ to write home about, at least off an iMod -- some of us here think so, anyway.

Totally agree. I do find a portable Vcap dock or better is almost a must to be able to claim desktop sound quality. The little portable iMod LOD with the small blackgates is still about as good of a source as most of the portable USB DAC amps that are flooding the market, only failing to beat the DAC section in the Pico. With Vcaps it does easily match (or possibly surpass) the Pico's DAC.

Recently I discovered that my iMod with a loaner Jensen Copper foil big-cap dock and ALO SXC interconnects feeding any of my high end amps is almost virtually indistinguishable from my Apogee mini DAC (being fed the same music from a CD transport and Synergistic Research Digital Coax with active shielding) and sending that out to the same amp with the same interconnects. Very high end sound if you ask me. The Vcaps are almost as good, but not quite.

I suspect QQQ has never heard a "proper" iMod rig with big caps and good interconnects and amp vs a good home DAC - the results can be truly surprising and eye opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back