How does the ibasso d10 compare to full-sized amps its price?
Nov 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #18 of 20
Audio-gd is doing the anniversary something-or-rather promo price, that's why the pricelist is cheaper. I don't know till when.

As for the main topic, if your life style limits your choice to portables (as it was for me till recently) then you pay for that. As even portables can benefit from running off 9V, amp/dac running off the wall socket will surely benefit from more power. You don't get that with D10. So I guess it's all about the compromises. Personally, I wouldn't go for portables unless I 'need' them to be portable.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #20 of 20
For a bedroom rig, I have come to the conclusion that a portable is the way to go, after months of telling myself that it would be money down the drain:

- form factor
- heat : even my Topaz gets very warm after several hours use, but its minor compared to some of the larger amps
- power cords : I dont know about you, but my apartment is bristling with Kambrook-style power boards. Sure, you need to recharge batteries etc eventually, but its one less cord while you are actually using the amp.

Anyone who persists with this hobby for more than 12 months seems to end up with at least one portable and a mains-powered amp : I'm sure there are exceptions, but based on the gear in many sigs, perhaps that should read 'at least 5 portables and 3 mains-powered amps'
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back