How Does the FiiO X3 Work as a DAC Only?
Sep 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KBGolfRunner

New Head-Fier
Has anyone compared the FiiO X3 to a stand alone DAC's on their home system?  I have a E7 that I'm using as a DAC now, and I'm in the market for an inexpensive ($150) DAC.  I already have tube amp (Garage1217 Starlight), so I'm good in that regard.  If the X3 sounds as good as a home DAC, I'm thinking about getting one since I'll be able to use it as a player on the go.

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 8
X3 DAC with iBasso T5 amp connected to X3 line-out sounds as good as iBasso D4 amp+dac combo on my laptop.
Now I am using ODAC and Meier Corda MOVE amp, this sounds slightly brighter and can do 24/96. SQ is on the same level.

For pure SQ on-the-go X3 and T5 is awesome, I haven't heard DX100 or stuff like that but I am amazed what a 200 USD player and a 200 USD amp can deliver. I can't imagine anything being much better. 
I use RE262 and it might be good to know that T5 is not the most silent amp, it can hiss slightly with some very sensitive IEMs.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 8
  Has anyone compared the FiiO X3 to a stand alone DAC's on their home system?  I have a E7 that I'm using as a DAC now, and I'm in the market for an inexpensive ($150) DAC.  I already have tube amp (Garage1217 Starlight), so I'm good in that regard.  If the X3 sounds as good as a home DAC, I'm thinking about getting one since I'll be able to use it as a player on the go.

I believe you can connect the Fiio X3's USB port to the computer and the X3's line-out to a headphone amplifier (Garage1217 Starlight) and use the X3 as a DAC.
Guess you could sell off the E7.

Edit: doubled checked, now I'm not sure if X3 can be used as a USB DAC?

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 8
  I believe you can connect the Fiio X3's USB port to the computer and the X3's line-out to a headphone amplifier (Garage1217 Starlight) and use the X3 as a DAC.
Guess you could sell off the E7.

Edit: doubled checked, now I'm not sure if X3 can be used as a USB DAC?

Next firmware will allow users to use the X3 as a USB DAC on laptop, pc or supporting device.
You can use the DAC for music on built-in memory or sd-card with an external amp connected to the line-out.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Any idea when the firmware update will happen?

Now, I go computer to USB to E7 out the headphone jack into the RCA splitter into the Starlight. Will I be able to do this with the X3 after the update? What will line out do that the headphone jack won't do?

Please, please forgive my ignorance. It's not like there are people that can come to my place and show me how to set this stuff up.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Any idea when the firmware update will happen?

Now, I go computer to USB to E7 out the headphone jack into the RCA splitter into the Starlight. Will I be able to do this with the X3 after the update? What will line out do that the headphone jack won't do?

Please, please forgive my ignorance. It's not like there are people that can come to my place and show me how to set this stuff up.

The line-out usually has slightly cleaner analog audio signal, over the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back