How does smoke/pets affect headphones?
Jun 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
This could have been answered and I didnt search well enough, and I will delete the post. But I always see on the for-sale forums people letting you know that their headphones were kept in a non smoke or non pet environment. Just how do these separate variables negatively affect the headphone itself?

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 19
almost anything that comes from a smokers home smells like a rotten ashtray. The pads, leather headbands, etc absorb the stink. anything porous will absorb odors. example: if you smoke while wearing leather gloves, they will smell, and take a long time to not smell. as far as the pet thing, if someone has bad pet allergies, the pet dander will get into the pads in almost the same way as the smoke. peoples reactions differ. but I think thats the long and the short of it. oh yeah. your headphones might also develop cancer or pee on your rug.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 19
Smells bad and can bring out allergies in a future buyer. Also, hair from pets (I would think cats might be worst, but I am biased because I hate cats [except LOLCATS
biggrin.gif
]) can get on the pads and in the drivers. I guess cat hair in a Grado gives you... cattle instead of grattle?
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smells bad and can bring out allergies in a future buyer. Also, hair from pets (I would think cats might be worst, but I am biased because I hate cats [except LOLCATS
biggrin.gif
]) can get on the pads and in the drivers. I guess cat hair in a Grado gives you... cattle instead of grattle?
biggrin.gif

lol, thats funny dude! I actually chuckled out loud.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 19
Haha, thanks for the replies. I was pondering it earlier, somewhat worried that maybe my A700s were losing quality or something because I had cats and such ( a strange concept).

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 19
I have animal hair allergies... and stale smoke is foul.

I smoke occasionally (mostly pipe), but never inside or with audio gear.

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 19
On top of the bad smell, smoke can also damage electronics. Have you ever been in a smokers house? The walls are discolored and windows (if not cleaned often) will have a film on them. That is the result of tar deposits. Now imagine those tar deposits on a PCB, drivers, solder points etc, etc...
Not good.
One should never smoke around electronics, or at all for that matter (and that's coming from a smoker
wink.gif
).

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr13zehn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On top of the bad smell, smoke can also damage electronics. Have you ever been in a smokers house? The walls are discolored and windows (if not cleaned often) will have a film on them. That is the result of tar deposits. Now imagine those tar deposits on a PCB, drivers, solder points etc, etc...
Not good.
One should never smoke around electronics, or at all for that matter (and that's coming from a smoker
wink.gif
).

Spot on. Smoke is actually corrosive and will attack solder points and the like.

cheers
Simon

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 19
It would take a lot of smoking to actually do some real damage, yet the aforementioned issues with smell and sticky surfaces are almost instant. I'm a moderate smoker and would never even consider smoking inside my own four walls. It is disgusting, a total antithesis to the idea of enjoying a bit of tobacco.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Theoretically, one could just lug the minimal rag out into the garden and hook it up to an Airport Express unit. Or just, well, go for a walk with the portable rig.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 19
I guess there are people who care as much as people who doesn't care about the smell on the phone.

I think smoke smell L3000 doesn't stay long in the for sale forum.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FishSauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess there are people who care as much as people who doesn't care about the smell on the phone.

I think smoke smell L3000 doesn't stay long in the for sale forum.

Yeah, you'd just ionize them like mad
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back