How does my plan look? DAC to use for both PC and CDp.
Sep 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, please check this out:
Behringer F-CONTROL AUDIO FCA202

Firewire (which is considered better than USB - if I'm not mistaken) and gives me balanced signal, just as I need. It also features an external power supply and it is only 85 euros (aka even cheaper than the Trends UD-10.1).

Am I the only one that thinks this is a better solution that UD-10.1?!

If it helps - and according to an older thread - it uses a CS4345 for D/A, CS5340 for A/D and the firewire receiver comes from TI (TSB41AB2). It will only be used as a transport.

If it will only be used as a transport (meaning, you intend to take a digital signal out of the FCA202) you will have a big problem:

FCA202_back.jpg

Those are all analog connections. There is no digital output on this unit.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it will only be used as a transport (meaning, you intend to take a digital signal out of the FCA202) you will have a big problem:

FCA202_back.jpg

Those are all analog connections. There is no digital output on this unit.

Yeah, you are right. I knew there'd be a catch!
tongue.gif

Well, I can always mod it to get a digital out but I'm not sure it's worth it when there is the Trends thing ready out of the box. Are the benefits of firewire over USB worth the trouble? I doubt it.
rolleyes.gif

I guess I'll just go for the Trends..
Not sure if its worth it to spend more and get the 0404 or the M-Audio firewire since it will be used as a transport 90% of the time.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #19 of 25
You know, the 0404 USB has a newer AKM DAC than does the Behringer SRC.

One thing that confuses me a bit: why bother with the SRC if you are going to go the DEQ route in the end?

The DEQ has multiple direct digital inputs, right?

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, the 0404 USB has a newer AKM DAC than does the Behringer SRC.

One thing that confuses me a bit: why bother with the SRC if you are going to go the DEQ route in the end?

The DEQ has multiple direct digital inputs, right?

The SRC will be used after the DEQ since its got better analog section than the latter (even better with the upgrades I'm gonna do on it).
wink.gif

I know that the 0404 uses newer DAC but I'm not sure how it sounds as a whole (since sound quality is not just about the DAC chip). If I decide to go for the 0404 I will have the option to compare them and either use the 0404 as a DAC or just as a transport and let the 2496 do the job - depending on which I like most.
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #21 of 25
Yikes... Talk about a long list of unused features with all of that gear.
biggrin.gif

In any case, I'd love to hear a 0404 USB vs. Behringer xxx2496 comparison, since the price difference is sort of extreme. Behringer is considered a budget / P.A. brand in the pro-audio world, so it's interesting to see how many people have recommended them at these prices.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes... Talk about a long list of unused features with all of that gear.
biggrin.gif

Nah, an external audiophile card will come in handy for some of my near-future plans (active monitors etc.).
Since I'll be using my laptop an internal soundcard is not an option unless I use the integrated ALC880. It's SPDIF out will be used at first but I don't consider it a long-term solution.

Quote:

In any case, I'd love to hear a 0404 USB vs. Behringer xxx2496 comparison, since the price difference is sort of extreme. Behringer is considered a budget / P.A. brand in the pro-audio world, so it's interesting to see how many people have recommended them at these prices.

Behringer is not that good in Pro gear. I mean, it's good for the price, but that's just about it.

The SRC is one of the few components they recommend for home audio use.
wink.gif

By the way, you'd be surprised to see how their EQ can improve the sound of most systems (no matter how much they cost) - as soon as you learn to use it properly that is.

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #23 of 25
My SRC2496 AD/DA converter (and sample rate converter and reclocker
tongue.gif
) just arrived!

I'll listen to it for a couple of weeks to make sure it works properly before I move on with the mods.

When it comes to the transport thing, I am now pondering that perhaps I should look at usability and features, not just sound quality.
A Squeezebox wouldn't be that bad SQ-wise, would it?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Squeezebox wouldn't be that bad SQ-wise, would it?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Many people recommend the Squeezebox 3 and other wireless solutions as transports because they decouple the computer from the audio system. Sounds like a good idea to me. In terms of analog output, the SQ of the SB3 has been described as fairly decent, but not the best... The people who own them usually own something else that sounds better. They use the same Burr-Brown PCM1748 DAC as the current Denon DCM-2xx and DCM-3xx lines of CD players.

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Many people recommend the Squeezebox 3 and other wireless solutions as transports because they decouple the computer from the audio system. Sounds like a good idea to me. In terms of analog output, the SQ of the SB3 has been described as fairly decent, but not the best... The people who own them usually own something else that sounds better. They use the same Burr-Brown PCM1748 DAC as the current Denon DCM-2xx and DCM-3xx lines of CD players.

Thank you for the input!
wink.gif

I've been reading about it for ages but with all the "information overload" about the usb dacs/transports and other devices I kinda forgot about this approach.

I did a brief search through the forum and it seems it's not as much of a comprompise (SQ-wise) as I thought.. Some people even go as far as to say it sounds better than their 0404.. This would be interesting...

I think I read there is a Squeezebox 4 coming out but don't quote me on this. There is a new remote control beta testers are trying out (I read about it in diyaudio and there is also a thread in the official forums) but I'm not sure if it's designed to go with a new version of the SB (or Transporter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back