How does my plan look? DAC to use for both PC and CDp.
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

TheShaman

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

These are my first steps in PC-based audio and I would really like to read some suggestions from more experienced members.

Here's the story...
I have about $300-400 and I need a device (or a combination of devices) that will act both as a USB DAC from my PC to my HiFi and also as a DAC which will upgrade my CD player. In other words, this thing should come with some sort of input selection so I can choose between the two sources.

I've done my research and came up with a plan I consider pretty decent. Please, let me know what you think about it...

1) Buy a Behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496 DAC.
2) Buy a Trends Audio UD-10.1 and use it as a USB transport
3) Connect CDplayer on the RCA (coaxial) input of SRC2496
4) Connect UD-10.1 on the XLR (AES/EBU) input of SRC2496
5) Use the input selector on the Behringer DAC to switch between PC/CDp as needed

The total cost will be around $400 (a bit less that 300 euros).
Positive points include the fact that I've heard the SRC2496 on my system and liked its sound and that it better accomodates my future plan to use a Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 to better fine tune my system according to the needs of my listening room.

What do you guys think about my plan? I assume UD-10.1 will give me bit-perfect reproduction.

Is there some other device within my budget that could give me the aforementioned options and perhaps sound better? Is there any audiophile usb soundcard that can also act as a standalone DAC or, most probably, some USB DAC suitable for the task described? Forget about the room equalization thing for now if it makes things simpler.

I would really appreciate any input since my experience is considerably limited on the whole USB DAC/DAC/PC-audio subject.

Thank you in advance!
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Positive points include the fact that I've heard the SRC2496 on my system and liked its sound...

That alone is probably more valuable than any advice you will get here - trust your ears...

Consider http://www.ibasso.com/ShowNews.aspx?ID=60

Haven't heard it myself, but like the concept and it sounds like it will suit you...

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

How does my plan look?

Your plan is exactly what I would do - utilise the DAC to switch sources.

Now find one that sounds good to you and fits your budget and you're all set. I haven't heard the Behringer DAC so I can't really recommend other products that would have a complimentary sound.

Try and listen to as many as you can... you'll learn a lot about what you do/don't like.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

These are my first steps in PC-based audio and I would really like to read some suggestions from more experienced members.

Here's the story...
I have about $300-400 and I need a device (or a combination of devices) that will act both as a USB DAC from my PC to my HiFi and also as a DAC which will upgrade my CD player. In other words, this thing should come with some sort of input selection so I can choose between the two sources.

Is there some other device within my budget that could give me the aforementioned options and perhaps sound better? Is there any audiophile usb soundcard that can also act as a standalone DAC or, most probably, some USB DAC suitable for the task described? Forget about the room equalization thing for now if it makes things simpler.

I would really appreciate any input since my experience is considerably limited on the whole USB DAC/DAC/PC-audio subject.

Thank you in advance!
wink.gif

Let me share my small experience with you...

I was almost in the same boat a few months ago : a PC (with a crappy sound card) and an Oppo player (not bad but nothing exceptional). I was in need of a Dac with at least two inputs and USB compatible... and I found the Musiland Md10 ($299)! You can see some information there : http://www.pacificvalve.us/MusilandMD10.html

It's a nice little Dac that you can connect to your PC via USB and to your CD via optical or coax cable. There is a button in the front that allows you to swith from one source to the other. I had mine for a few months (I have since upgraded to a CEC DA53) and was very pleased with the sound.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks a lot for your input guys!

I've decided to play safe and order the Behringer DAC. A friend promised to mod it for me so I'm all set on the DAC front!

Now I need to decide what to do with the usb transport thing with a budget of around 150 euros ($200 give or take)...
I should note that I have the option to use either the XLR or the optical input of my DAC. The optical one is supposed to introduce jitter so, if this is the case, I would rather use the AES/EBU one.

My options include:

1) Trends UD-10.1 which will directly give me an AES/EBU output - as already mentioned.
2) Another USB transport like the M-Audio Transit USB. Its low price is a positive thing but, on the other hand, it only gives optical and rca outputs. If I were to skip the optical and go for XLR then I would have to use an RCA-to-XLR converter (which is not that expensive but I suppose it may degrade audio quality) or a full-featured SPDIF to AES/EBU converter which will cost more but will probably be better when it comes to sound quality.
3) An "audiophile"/"semi-pro" external soundcard like the M-Audio USB (or Firewire) Audiophile or the EMU 0404, again with an appropriate converter.

Any ideas as to which of the three aforementioned solutions will give me the best sound quality?

Again, any input is more than welcome!

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 25
Sorry, but why aren't you just looking for a DAC that has a direct USB input? There's plenty to choose from, and it'll save you a few extra bucks (or you can get a better DAC) as you won't need to buy the additional USB device and interconnects, and it'll be one less power cord you have to run.

I have a feeling you've got a background in pro audio? If so, don't be afraid to look at brands you haven't heard of. Hi-fi is very much a cottage industry and some of the best stuff comes from companies you probably don't know!

Sep 15, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but why aren't you just looking for a DAC that has a direct USB input? There's plenty to choose from, and it'll save you a few extra bucks (or you can get a better DAC) as you won't need to buy the additional USB device and interconnects, and it'll be one less power cord you have to run.

I have a feeling you've got a background in pro audio? If so, don't be afraid to look at brands you haven't heard of. Hi-fi is very much a cottage industry and some of the best stuff comes from companies you probably don't know!

I understand what you mean. I'm certain there is a USB oversampling DAC which supports various inputs that will give me better PC sound than an SRC2496-USB Transport combo and even better sound for my CDplayer.
Unfortunately, although the DACs that match the above specs are more than a few (up to a budget of about $400 the "all the dacs money can buy" list can make you lose your head) there is none that I can hear before buying. I might get to hear a Musiland but that's about it... Moreover there are not many people that had a chance to compare 2 or 3 of those head-to-head and even in those rare cases you cannot be quite certain your system/room/ears will agree on the verdict. This makes me extremely cautious.

The SRC2496 on the other hand has quite a strong following here in Greece and, if I don't like it/need it at some point, it will be easy for me to sell it to somebody else with minimal money loss. Plus I had the chance to hear it and liked the positive effect it had on my system's sound. It will only get better with a couple of mods a friend will do for me (mainly add caps on the psu and use two separate small toroids for analog and digital circuits). Finally, I know it works great with the Behringer equalizer I mentioned on my first post, which, by the way, is a great device that can really make a system sing (room equalization is here to stay) - but I guess this is one of the few things hardcore headphone guys can afford to skip on!
lambda.gif

Hope now you understand why I decided to go for the Behringer!
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that from the options listed above (1) and (3) are most attractive. The EMU 0404 in specific has got some rave reviews in here and that makes me think it is perhaps a better solution than the Trends transport.

I would really appreciate any ideas/opinions!

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Just bumped into this UD-10.1 alternative...
The HagUSB now comes with an XLR output as well!

Check it out here.

Both use the Burr Brown PCM2704 for USB audio conversion but the Trends seems more flexible (more outputs) and also features the option to power it using an external PS which I assume would give better sound.

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only digital output on the M-Audio Transit is optical. There is no RCA S/PDIF on that unit.

Indeed - and I would rather skip the optical connection. Its just listed as a relatively cheap alternative.

I should not I have a file with some other solutions I found during my research but didn't list them to avoid "overload" readers of this thread with information. If there is interest I could mention them briefly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not utilize your soundcard to output to your dac? Could save some cash.

My laptop's sound card comes with an SPDIF out (accepts a mini-jack) but I'm not sure of its quality (Realtek ALC880) and I'm also worried about the interference from other components in the laptop. I'm not even sure if I could get bit-perfect output that way...
confused.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 25
Hmmm, please check this out:
Behringer F-CONTROL AUDIO FCA202

Firewire (which is considered better than USB - if I'm not mistaken) and gives me balanced signal, just as I need. It also features an external power supply and it is only 85 euros (aka even cheaper than the Trends UD-10.1).

Am I the only one that thinks this is a better solution that UD-10.1?!

If it helps - and according to an older thread - it uses a CS4345 for D/A, CS5340 for A/D and the firewire receiver comes from TI (TSB41AB2). It will only be used as a transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back