How does "Head-Fi you" correspond to the real you?
Feb 29, 2004 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

fiddler

Headphoneus Supremus
I ask this question, because despite my efforts to be as "real" as I can online, I constantly find myself posting things that I'd probably never say in real life. I'm a really shy guy in person, and I've bene described more than once as being "hard to approach", "keeps to myself", so on so forth.. I got to thinking: maybe I'm trying to compensate? Trying to be someone I could never be in real life?

Then again, I guess I've always found it much easier to put my thoughts down on paper (or to type them out) than to verbalize them. Actually I downright suck at talking.

Maybe it's something about the nature of headphones that attracts shy people like me.

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 84
i definitely cuss more in real life. and maybe my histrionics come across more clearly in person. but otherwise i think i'm about the same as i am on here.

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 84
The serial upgrader/sidegrader geek presented at Head-Fi (complete with 4,000+ posts) is indeed the real me. I'm quite a sociable Geek, but a Geek I am. Of course having Internet access from wherever I may be, being a gearhead, having an opinion on everything and being a quick typer are factors in racking up such a post count but fundamentally speaking my outer Geek is at peace with my inner Geek and both never resist a chance to speak out.

Feb 29, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 84
well, I tend to write quicker than I think when I'm online while I'm pretty cautious about what I say in real life.

There's of course the language barrier. It's often hard to be ironic without being unknowingly harsh. So I try to post less aggressively than I'd speak or would write on a french board.

Feb 29, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 84
I'm much better behaved on here
biggrin.gif

I definitely swear more than I do here. Plus I smell worse in person
biggrin.gif
Oh and I can't tell my jokes on here either.

You'll have to take me as you find me. I make no apologies for being a Yorkshireman
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 84
What you see is what you get from me. Except, however, for my avatar.
wink.gif
Yes, I do swear more in real-time, but at least here, I can pick my nose, fart, etc while I'm typing and no is the wiser.
tongue.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 84
I'm more shy in real life. If I say a bunch of Head-Fiers in real life standing around talking about equipment, I'd probably just ignore them, not because I'm rude, but because I'm insanely shy. I probably have some freaky social disorder. I even get nervous about sending emails to people I don't know. I wouldn't get into random conversations about headphones or have the confidence to recommend gear in real life. But I think my online self is a lot like my real self...I try to avoid controversy.

Feb 29, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 84
I have a dry sense of humor that doesn't come off especially clearly typed out, so I generally don't bother. And yea, definitely more cursing in real life.

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 84
This is the only place I've ever posted, and I think I'm more tentative, less confrontational and much blander than I am in person. Probably I feel new, so I don't want to offend anybody or be a nuisance. What's that line from Eliot . .

There will be tiime . . . to prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet.

Anybody ever read Goffman's "Presentation of Self in Everyday Life?"

BW

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 84
I am both nicer and at the same time more menacing in real life

i give people a fair shot but if they p*ss me off "in the flesh"

[size=medium]WHAMMO !!!!!!![/size]

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
cool.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 84
I'm quieter in real life...

...Thats what comes of being anti-social, and wearing headphones!
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I can't tell my jokes on here either.

I've given up on that as well for the most part. It doesn't translate well. PC types use billy clubs on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back