How does Chaintech AV-710 analog out compare to current generation of budget sound cards?
Jan 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of Audio Engine A2 speakers and am currently feeding them from the integrated sound of my Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

I would like to improve the quality of the feed to the A2, but haven't kept up with what the budget sound card recommendations are.

I knew the Chaintech AV-710 (rear black channel with Wolfson DAC?) was recommended in past, and am wondering how that signal compares to currently recommended budget sound cards.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 7
If your looking for a good bang for the buck soundcard look at the Xonar DX.
Great specs and overall sound quality for the price. IIRC it has a 116-117dB SNR.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Just things to keep in mind, it's only PCI which is a pain on some mobo's these days, and drivers while available do take a little more work than modern supported cards.

Also it makes my windows 7 install blue screen, that's probably covered in some sticky or something but FYI

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just things to keep in mind, it's only PCI which is a pain on some mobo's these days, and drivers while available do take a little more work than modern supported cards.

Also it makes my windows 7 install blue screen, that's probably covered in some sticky or something but FYI

Windows 7 is a public beta, you cannot seriously expect that all 3rd party hardware, especially old hardware, will work out of the box with no issues, nor can you seriously expect that theres a "sticky for audio problems with windows 7", its not even released yet

I have no reason to see why PCI is a pain either? and I am coming from owning one of the newer and better mainboards available today

as far as how good of a value is it, at $30, its amazing, the Xonar DX is better, at 3 to 4 times the price, the X-Fi Prelude and Xonar D2 series are better still, at 6 to 8 times the price, think about that

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows 7 is a public beta, you cannot seriously expect that all 3rd party hardware, especially old hardware, will work out of the box with no issues, nor can you seriously expect that theres a "sticky for audio problems with windows 7", its not even released yet

I have no reason to see why PCI is a pain either? and I am coming from owning one of the newer and better mainboards available today

Wow? It's a beta? No kidding? Thanks dude.

The blue screen was just a FYI, for all I know it might be an issue that somebody had documented on this forum.

Also if you learn to read I never associated driver problems with W7, I think they're a pain in Vista, especially if you want line in to work correctly.

Congrats on whatever you build, as for me with my duel slot video card and capture card I'd prefer a 1x soundcard as well. Justify whatever you want, I just thought I would give some considerations on a public forum, obviously my bad.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow? It's a beta? No kidding? Thanks dude.

The blue screen was just a FYI, for all I know it might be an issue that somebody had documented on this forum.

Also if you learn to read I never associated driver problems with W7, I think they're a pain in Vista, especially if you want line in to work correctly.

Congrats on whatever you build, as for me with my duel slot video card and capture card I'd prefer a 1x soundcard as well. Justify whatever you want, I just thought I would give some considerations on a public forum, obviously my bad.
wink.gif

I wasn't attacking you, I was just saying, driver issues and BSoDs can't even be attributed to a given piece of hardware, given that we're talking about a public beta OS, so it isn't really fair

you also put it out there in a manner along the lines of "microsoft has failed us"

now, theres no reason for you to attack me, as far as telling me to learn to read, I believe the word is "dual"
redface.gif

cheers
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back