How does a $300 pair of bookshelf speakers compare to a pair of $300 pair of cans?
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 33
You are comparing apples and oranges. The speakers deliver sound within a room - you cannot consider the speakers without also considering the room - the size, the materials on the floor, the furniture, the distance from the speakers to listener, etc. There are things that speakers can do that headphones simply cannot do - like use the room to create a large stereo sound field with a phantom center channel. Conversely, headphones can also do things the speakers cannot do - like render an outstanding dynamic range while also isolating you from ambient noise. If the speakers are used in conjunction with a subwoofer capable of pressurizing the room, then you can achieve a visceral feeling that is unobtainable with headphones. OTOH, headphones can deliver huge sound to the listener regardless of the size of the room - and you don't need 2000 watts of power even if you are sitting in a room the size of a cathedral.

IMHO, headphones are the better *personal* listening device - but only when you are restricted by other constraints - such as the size of the room, the need for privacy, the lack of adequate power, etc.

YMMV...

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 33
I feel like when it comes to technical abilities, things like detail, a 300 dollar headphone will do a bit better than a 300 dollar pair of speakers. Of course something like having a realistic soundstage or imaging is a completely different story.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 33
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2010/11/johnblue-jb4-mk2-standmount-loudspeaker/

but...but....but this is pure SEDUCTION if u can find a pair in the resale mkt. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 33
There are very few things in audio that are as wildly varied, interesting and beautiful as speakers. Even when you consider dynamics, BA, planar, 'stats, etc - headphones are still just a small subset compared to all the various drivers & designs that have been used for speakers. You have all those same drivers as headphones, plus: horns, transmission lines, inverted domes, open baffles, Walsh omnis, infinite baffles, TQWT, etc, Etc , ETC!! :cool:

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 33
The reason I'm asking about speakers is I want some for gaming and music because headphones don't cut it for me in loudness and the bass department. Now I was wondering if you guys could help me out here on configuring a setup to use?

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 33
You think $300 bookshelf speakers are going to give you a lot of bass?

You are asking the wrong questions. How about telling us what headphones you have now and what you have them connected to. Then tell us what specific speakers and speaker amp you are considering.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 33
The reason I'm asking about speakers is I want some for gaming and music because headphones don't cut it for me in loudness and the bass department. Now I was wondering if you guys could help me out here on configuring a setup to use?

For $300 you either get a lot of bass because that's just the price of a sub, or not enough, since you cannot get good multi-driver tower speakers with at least one dedicated bass driver and a large enough, zero resonance cabinet, particularly when (we can assume that) what you probably want from the bass is to feel it as well. However, a good quality 2.1 system might be a good compromise: Swans M50W.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 33
While it won't get you mind blowing bass, these are nice bookshelves.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=65

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 33
You think $300 bookshelf speakers are going to give you a lot of bass?

You are asking the wrong questions. How about telling us what headphones you have now and what you have them connected to. Then tell us what specific speakers and speaker amp you are considering.

Maybe. Why do you think I'm here asking for help? All in all,what's an estimate on how much a good 5.1 setup would cost? And for a receiver I was considering this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BHC7ZTE?cache=697e51afe16d780913bd93bcbcdd41b2&pi=SX200_QL40#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1392102617&sr=8-1

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 33

No way any decent $300 bookshelves are going to have the same bass as $300 headphones - filling a room with quality bass requires big drivers and lots of amplification.    

You'd be better off getting a pair of basshead headphones and a suitable amp to drive them, if they arent going loud enough for your tastes (or even starting with amping your existing headphones). 

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 33
If u have a private room that u can crank up without the police coming to your door,
Then home speakers with subwoofer is the way to go.
I haven't come across a headphone set that rattles to the bottom of my butt n sole yet.:xf_eek:

I used to have a pair of bookshelfs n REL subwoofer...
My wife came running out of the kitchen when I hit a dinosaur movie way back when...
The sub had to go...or I lose my dearest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back