How do your feelings regarding music differ from that of your spouse/friend/sibling/etc. etc.?
Nov 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 23
She...made fun of the best of all time. I'm sorry, but she's got to go. 

Seriously.

Quote:
My wife actually made fun of me last night - on Facebook of all things - for having BT's These Hopeful Machines on while I made dinner.  She said, and I quote, that I was playing music "that required acid or ecstasy to enjoy". 

I was not pleased.

She has obviously forgotten all of the music that she would have never heard if she wasn't the indirect benefactor of my very diverse appreciation of music.  But I guess coming from someone who thinks Lady Gaga is talented, I shouldn't take it to heart. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #17 of 23

Quote:
She...made fun of the best of all time. I'm sorry, but she's got to go. 

Seriously.

I don't get mad at her often but I definitely let her know how much I didn't appreciate her comment.  THM has become one of my favorite albums and I thought it sounded pretty damn good as dinner music.  Didn't even make it through A Million Stars, either... 
mad.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 23
A Million Stars is probably my favorite track. As I said...all time favorite album. He did everything right. Even the cover art and black CDs scream quality. 

Glad you made her aware of it though. Communication is good.

Quote:
I don't get mad at her often but I definitely let her know how much I didn't appreciate her comment.  THM has become one of my favorite albums and I thought it sounded pretty damn good as dinner music.  Didn't even make it through A Million Stars, either... 
mad.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 23
i actually enjoy lot of stuff my siblings and parents like. yea my little brothers are more into modern mainstream rap and pop stuff but it doesn't bother me. i like to stay open minded and i really don't let things get to me. i guess you can say i'm a pretty mellowed out guy most of the time(well not all the time. i only get mad or disappointed when it comes to my brothers schooling or done something stupid and didn't take my advice.)

Well, the cat looks irritated when I crank the speakers. Which reminds me, did you know that cats hear up to around 57kHz? Amazing.
So I don't crank it up too much when she's inside.
As for a spouse, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. At least I'll go in already having the gear. No negotiation over buying stuff and she would know up front that I have a bunch of audio stuff. And it would be wonderful to meet someone with overlapping tastes, especially with an appreciation of jazz and classical. I like to leave quieter pieces playing all day long. A happy wife and a happy cat would be nice.

that's why it's funny when you throw in 20khz test tones and watch them freak. i only did it once though. even though i was able to hear it fine(but the sound pressure annoyed me and i felt it in my ear drums) i bet it was amplified more then 10x over for them since animals are not suppose to be exposed to extreme high frequencies or anything above 88db for long periods or you'll kill their hearing(depending also how far you sit away from the speakers and room's acoustic energy as well).i don't have to worry though since i never listen above 88db mostly anyways and my cats like sitting in my rooms corner cause it's the deadest part of my room. my one cat i call little girl and other i call mittens like to hang on my lap when i listen to music. Kit sometimes like to sit on my lap as well since she gets jealous.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 23
We largely agree - the only things that I enjoy that my wife does not (at all) are any sort of electronica/techno, and instrumental jazz. All else we mesh on.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 23
I checked out These Hopeful Machines and you are right.  This is a wonderfully done album.  I should look more into BT.  I only ever heard stuff from him that was included on mixed sets of other DJs.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 23
2 hours. 12 songs. 1 fantastic album.

His top 3 (for me) are...
These Hopeful Machines
Emotional Technology (Somnambulist is another favorite song of all time)
Movement in Still Life

OT: My other half isn't into EDM that much. As I said, more 80s than anything else. She can appreciate my EDM though.

Quote:
I checked out These Hopeful Machines and you are right.  This is a wonderfully done album.  I should look more into BT.  I only ever heard stuff from him that was included on mixed sets of other DJs.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 23
Electronic music was something that most of my friends never really got into.  The few acquaintances I had that enjoyed EDM were more concerned with the chemicals that mixed well with the scene.  I have nothing against that but I could appreciate the music greatly without that (though an altered state of consciousness has been documented to do interesting things with the perception of music).  I have even had people question why I would listen to this style of music if I wasn't on something.  To each his own I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back