how do you use your mp3 player in your car?
Feb 28, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two reasons why i have what i have...

second reason is: i had some great luck with my older Ford Probe being stolen and broken into a few times over..the last thing i want to deal with is that crap again or even ask for it.

I can completely agree with this, a pain. That is why I like the Alpine, see above this post. My car came with a in dash nav, that I didn't get. When I put in the Alpine, unless the thief takes a real good long look, all the worse by the dark tint on the car he/she can't really tell if its factory or aftermarket. Ever tried to get a factory nav out of a car? Not easy, can take hours with the right tools! Everything else I have fits into the stock locations, including the component tweeters in the a pillar. The iPod is hidden in the middle glove box. Sounds good and no one nows you have it, provided you don't roll through the mall parking lot blasting which I don't.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 56
I am using the Alpine KCA-420i to connect my iPod to my Alpine deck. I ended up buying an old 40GB iPod off eBay that just says in the car all the time now to go with it.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #34 of 56
I have a Dual deck that I inherited from my boyfriend that has an iPod interface, bluetooth adapter, and an auxillary in. I usually have my iPod touch connected to it but pretty often use my Palm Centro to stream Shoutcast streaming radio through the aux jack. This is in a 1997 Buick LeSabre and that deck looks a bit anachronistic in there
tongue.gif

Here's a link for the deck: Dual Electronics - Mobile Audio Receivers - XDMA7715

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like music and you have a car then get Satellite Radio. Nuff Said!

I haven't touched my Sirius satellite radio in over a month since I got a phone with 3G data and started streaming Shoutcast internet radio stations in my car. Sure, that won't work out of town very well, but I think I'd rather have my iPod for those times anyway. I found that satellite radio got to be just as bland as terrestrial radio very quickly. Not to mention the sound quality isn't very good. Listening to Digital Gunfire on my way to and from work beats anything I've heard on satellite radio
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't touched my Sirius satellite radio in over a month since I got a phone with 3G data and started streaming Shoutcast internet radio stations in my car. Sure, that won't work out of town very well, but I think I'd rather have my iPod for those times anyway. I found that satellite radio got to be just as bland as terrestrial radio very quickly. Not to mention the sound quality isn't very good. Listening to Digital Gunfire on my way to and from work beats anything I've heard on satellite radio
biggrin.gif

You mean the SQ isnt good on your system.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

If you like music and you have a car then get Satellite Radio. Nuff Said!

I'd have to agree with the above post. Doesn't matter if its XM or Sirius the quality is not good. HD isn't bad but all the commercials are getting to be a bit much. But in the DC area HD is the only real option. Terrestrial FM is so overloaded that it is hard to get any station without static. Even DC101 with probably the biggest coverage has static at times.

Thanks but I will stick with my Ipod and CD's.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #39 of 56
Why does everyone keep saying Satellite Radio had bad sound quality? Take a Benz with Harman Surround and satellite for a spin sometime, then tell me you cant get good SQ from satellite. Its the equipment not satellite. Perfect signal all the time, only exceptions are parking garage's and bridges.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Why does everyone keep saying Satellite Radio had bad sound quality? Take a Benz with Harman Surround and satellite for a spin sometime, then tell me you cant get good SQ from satellite. Its the equipment not satellite. Perfect signal all the time, only exceptions are parking garage's and bridges.

Just from my experience it is bad. Now maybe the Benz has a good SQ, I don't know. But my stereo is no slouch and the sound dampening I have added equals if not beats the Benz also. I would also possit that maybe the Benz has a better Sat than available to public? All I can say is that every time I have tried satellite, as it is my car (I use if for talk radio, sports), it has been noticeably worse SQ than FM or definitely HD radio.

Signal also depends on where you live. Don't think anyone in Alaska or Northern Canada could care about satellite
biggrin.gif

If you like it hey enjoy. Thats the point right? Let your own ears do the judging not anyone elses!

Happy motoring and good tunes to ya, cheers!

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

My father has an Audi A8L with XM radio and the SQ is horrible. I also have a $5000 IASCA competition grade sound system in my car with XM radio and the SQ is horrible. It sounds incredibly compressed. It's fantastic for traffic and news though; that's why I have it.

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #42 of 56
I could have sworn I said Benz. The HK system was designed for the car and I know it simulates surround from a 2 channel source but it sounds much better than my home rig. It even has a setting for speech and standard stereo and there are discernable differences between the modes. I have listened to after market units and they are as you describe, un-dynamic, thin, scratchy, worse than FM, but the Benz doesn't suffer from all these things, I must be spoiled, I assumed they all couldn't be that bad. Oh well, when I assume I make an,,,...

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #43 of 56
I've heard a whole bunch of XM and Sirius radios over the last few years, and I wouldn't want any of them in my car. (the ugly antennae don't help) The SQ on Sirius, which uses Lucent PAC compression( a little better than MP3 but not much), is woeful. Kinda like listening to 5 year old Xing coded MP3's. Whilst it is possible the MB's HK system can correct for some of the flaws in the low bitrate stream, I'd seriously doubt it comes even close to an Ipod playing lossless files over a $10 aux in cord. It's trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Now, back to the topic.. MP3 players in your car. I've tried a a Karma, Gigabeat and Ipod over the aux In but the ipod dock cable/Pioneer stereo (with steering wheel control) combo is hard to beat, way to go Scion, equipping it as standard.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #44 of 56
Ya the unfortunate thing is that if you want good SQ, control over the MP3 player you are stuck with either and iPod solution or one of the proprietary more jukebox formats (like already posted).

Microsofts sync in Ford's is a welcome push in the right direction though. Maybe auto manufactureres and aftermarket companies will get the hint that we want to hook up our mp3 player and have full control in the stereo not at the mp3 player. Well thats what I want at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back