How Do You Train Your Ears?
Apr 10, 2007 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

gbadude

New Head-Fier
I know this is kind of off topic, but I've been lurking around the forum, and I see a lot has to do with having a trained ear. I honestly don't really know what that means, or how to do it. I'm sure its something that comes along with playing instruments, but I have pretty much no musical experience at all. I mean I listen to music and everything, but I don't play any instruments. I played the violin for about two years like 6 years ago, so that doesn't really count. I'm not sure if it's just I have no musical talent or I just don't know. But whenever someone talks about how well someone sings, I can't really tell if it's good or bad. Something that sounded good to me, someone will say sounded horrible. Another example is my friend can listen to a song, and whistle the tune to it. But when I try to, it sounds nothing like the song. I think it's because I can distinguish what the song is supposed to sound like or I just can't produce the right sounds. I think I'm just clueless when it comes to the technical aspects of music.

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's nothing to do with having a musicians ear. if u think ibuds sound just as good as high end headphones, then honestly good for u. don't start.

Well I can tell that ibuds aren't as good as my ER6i. But I for example, I have a hard time telling the difference between a song thats recorded in 192kbps vs 128kbps. If I do notice a difference, I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect. I mean it's not just that I want to have a "trained ear" so I can know which earphones to buy, but it's just nice to have a clue as to what's going on in terms of music.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 24
There is no "trained ear" really, it is just what you think sounds good. Some people just cant tell the difference between different bit rates, and thats awesome! Most people say they have "trained" ears because they have A/B'ed different bit rates for so long, they can tell the difference. Some people just naturally can discifer differences in music, and some can't.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 24
i don't know if this helps at all

but i noticed people that speak tonal languages also have a better ability to mimic and reproduce musical notes.

for instance vietnamese, a word can sound very similar but depending on the tone/pitch that the word is spoken, can have completely different meanings. i've been fortunate enough to help several people learn the language and have noticed quite consistently, those who are better at Karaoke (a traditional vietnamese activity) also have a better ear for different tones in the language, vice versa also applies, though some argue that it is the vietnamese culture of regular karaoke that makes them better at karaoke and not their increased perception of tones
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 24
Ear training is a practice used mostly by musicians to become more aware of subtleties of intonation. However, with things like headphones, it's probably more important to hear a variety of phones and decide which ones fit your musical interests most appropriately. In short, go to headphone meets (like the one in San Jose later this month) and see what's available that fits your tastes (and budget).

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
concerts

thats actually pretty much it. Go to a concert where the sound quality will best any headphone, and then go listen to something at 128kbps.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 24
It all comes with experiences. Try out different headphones, and try to describe the subtle differences (tonality, speed, bass control, decay/attack, extension, etc). There should be a link somewhere including all of these terms. Audiophile ears all depend on what to look for in differences. Then of course, music should always come first
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 24
I personally don't try training my ears at all... just listen to things over and over again with different set ups (For fun) and make sure they get plenty of downtime from music/sound in general.

What I do try and train is my ability to describe what I hear ;p

Apr 10, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 24
I find that it is very highly dependent on what is important for you and what are your priorities. If you are the type who gets annoyed when you listen to a badly encoded or lower quality recording, as opposed to a person who doesnt mind, then you will naturally have the ability to tell the difference.

I know several ppl who just compress the audio to lower bitrates so they can cram in more music into their mp3 player. I'm sure most ppl who have even a minor sense for good SQ will not be able to tolerate something like that.

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that it is very highly dependent on what is important for you and what are your priorities. If you are the type who gets annoyed when you listen to a badly encoded or lower quality recording, as opposed to a person who doesnt mind, then you will naturally have the ability to tell the difference.

I know several ppl who just compress the audio to lower bitrates so they can cram in more music into their mp3 player. I'm sure most ppl who have even a minor sense for good SQ will not be able to tolerate something like that.

I've done informal a/b tests with Apple Lossless vs. AAC 192kbps and I couldn't hear the difference with KSC75 or PX100. I just got my HD580 and I'll be trying with them soon. Can you tell the difference with you KCS75 or the Creative EP630?

BTW what's Extra Comfy on your KSC75?

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 24
You just listen to the tunes... gear that does this
rs1smile.gif
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif
is good. Gear that does this
confused.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
is bad.

IMHO the reference should always be the live instrument played in person... not a 2CH stereo. But thats just my opinion.

Unfortunately, SRV and Hendrix are dead, Neil Peart is not going to set-up kit in my living room, and Eric Clapton probably has better things to do with his time than serenade any of us with his flavor of live blues.... So what do I know.

If it sounds good and puts a smile on your face, then it IS good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back