How do you shrink your heatshrink?
Jul 26, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 58
i got this for like $15 at my local NTE dealer... i like it cause its portable

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/masmt11.html

works great for heatshrink and when i have to solder large connectors like PL-259's etc

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 58
I use a bic lighter as well. Cheap, easy, and quick once you get the method down. My wife would kill me if I touched her blow dryers and I don't want to spend money on a heat gun.

~Zip

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 58
for visible heatshrink I use a 2000W Revlon hairdryer... for heatshrink that's going to be hidden I might use a lighter if I'm feeling lazy

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 58
Commercial heatgun here... I think it gets too hot for some heatshrinks though (scorched some white HS here and there). I tend to blow the circuit in my room with it, so sometimes I just use a lighter which works quite fine.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 58
I use a heatgun on low setting. I actually melted some techflex the first time I used the heatgun on high setting. Prior to that I used an "Aim N Flame". Both worked fine although the heatgun is more convenient.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #25 of 58
I use a bic as well, for home audio stuff as well as some heat shrink useage at work. They're the cheapest and easiest. If you hold the heatshrink to the side of the flame instead of above it, you can avoid the scorching. Just get it close enough to apply the heat from the flame, you don't want to set it on fire!

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #27 of 58
I have an electric stove and use it to shrink the heat shrink and hold the cable a few inches above the stove with pliers to avoid burning my fingers. Takes a few seconds and I get excellent results.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #28 of 58
I use my stove as well, though it has gas burners. I use the low setting, where the flames are small, blue and stable, and move the cable around about an inch above them. Doesn't burn anything but shrinks quickly and uniformly. It's a much better method than using a lighter.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I chug a whole lot of hotsauce real quick, then breathe on the heatshrink. Sometimes I also use a 1500W heatgun when I run out of hotsauce.

ROTFL!!!

I use a 10€ heatgun myself, much better than a lighter or a hairdrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back