How do you rip high rez music?
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it is extremely easy to rip DVD-A (I have done that for 5 DVD-A so far) and it can be done for SACD (though mor expensive, as it will require some modifications to your player). I will start to rip my SACD in high rez PCM this august.

And yes, the difference with high rez music is extremely audible, indeed making for an even more relaxing experience, but only worth if you have a transparent enough system.

What programs are you using to archive your DVD-A and SACD discs? I thought it was impossible to rip SACD in the digital domain rather than the analog signal.

For quite some time, I have been using a program called DVD Audio Extractor to rip the music from my concert DVDs. The program saves to OGG, MP3, Wave or FLAC files and demuxes audio streams directly to PCM, MP3, AAC or DTS files. It works like a charm. I recommend it for archiving concert or other live performance DVD recordings to your hard drive for playback through your computer.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What programs are you using to archive your DVD-A and SACD discs? I thought it was impossible to rip SACD in the digital domain rather than the analog signal.

For quite some time, I have been using a program called DVD Audio Extractor to rip the music from my concert DVDs. The program saves to OGG, MP3, Wave or FLAC files and demuxes audio streams directly to PCM, MP3, AAC or DTS files. It works like a charm. I recommend it for archiving concert or other live performance DVD recordings to your hard drive for playback through your computer.

When it comes to DVD-A, I believe there are a few programs out there able to rip the MLP encoded files on DVD-A. I use DVDA Explorer and it works very smoothly.

Reg SACD, I had my SONY ES player modified by Audiopraise (company based in Czech republic), allowing "on the fly" conversion of the DSD flow to high rez PCM (24/88 or 24/176) and available through the digital coaxial output. At the moment, I just plug it into the Lavry DA11 and the result is outstanding. I will start ripping my SACD by capturing the high rez PCM datas when I have more time with a M-Audio 192 card (must allow SCMS control) and the free software Audacity.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to DVD-A, I believe there are a few programs out there able to rip the MLP encoded files on DVD-A. I use DVDA Explorer and it works very smoothly.

Reg SACD, I had my SONY ES player modified by Audiopraise (company based in Czech republic), allowing "on the fly" conversion of the DSD flow to high rez PCM (24/88 or 24/176) and available through the digital coaxial output. At the moment, I just plug it into the Lavry DA11 and the result is outstanding. I will start ripping my SACD by capturing the high rez PCM datas when I have more time with a M-Audio 192 card (must allow SCMS control) and the free software Audacity.

I do just the same for some time now already... the sacd-rips are of perfect quality... and makes a music-pc for playback complete.

Audiopraise is certainly worth a visit!!

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by L01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do just the same for some time now already... the sacd-rips are of perfect quality... and makes a music-pc for playback complete.

Audiopraise is certainly worth a visit!!

Thanks for ytour contribution L01. It is nice to see others have followed the same route before. Audiopraise have been very reactive and profesionnal during all the process (planning, shipping, support, questions, modifications). I would definitely recommend anyone having serious thought about high rez playback (or rip) to check it out.

May I ask you how you did edit the high rez SPDIF rips (which software and how did you edit rips later...). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back