How do you pronounce AKG?
Jan 31, 2002 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Is it AKG? OR A-K-G? Or Aw Kah Jay? Help me with this people, it's been bothering me for years.

Jan 31, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 44
I've always just pronounced the letters - A-K-G.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Aw Kah Jay?

It takes a Canadian to mangle a simple three-letter-acronym into something like this.
tongue.gif
J/K!!!
biggrin.gif

AKG is an acronym for the German words translated directly to have the words (going by fading memory) "Audio Video ...something else..." I dunno, I think Gradoistcool did the translation on HeadWize a while ago.

EDIT 1: Ok, well here's what Altavista's translator had to say about "Akustische und Kinogeräte GesmbH":

Acoustic one and cinema devices Gesmbh

EDIT 2: Found that HeadWize thread. Quoting Gradoistcool directly:

"and for anybody that does not know what AKG stands for it stands for Akustische und Kino Geräte, which means simply acoustic and cinematic equipment :)"

(hmm, he has a slightly different interpretation of AKG, even though I got the the German words represented by AKG directly from the German AKG website)

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 44
Same here, A-K-G. I didn't know exactly how to pronounce Sennheiser until I asked a fellow boarder who happened to be german how to say it.

Grado gave my trouble, still does. I say gra (as in grass) dough, aparently it is supposed to be gray-dough.

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 44
How do you pronounce sennheiser? I always say Sen-Hi-Sir
confused.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 44
Yeah I used think Grado was pronounced "Gr-ah-dough"...

Also, Beyerdynamic is pronounced "Buy-er-dynamic"... I thought it was "bay-er-dynamic"...

And Sennheiser I believe is "Zen-high-zer"

And Etymotic is "Et-e-mow-tick"

I'm sure Sony has some Japanese pronounciation or something... maybe "saw-nee"?

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 44
I think Neruda would pronounce it as something like 'hic'
wink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 31, 2002 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Possum

It takes a Canadian to mangle a simple three-letter-acronym into something like this.
tongue.gif
J/K!!!
biggrin.gif

In Canada, they pronounce it "eh K G", actually.

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back