how do you organize your cd's/records?
Jun 26, 2003 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
By last name, beyond me why anyone would split it up by genre.

Because classical is best arranged by composer, jazz and rock by performer, and soundtracks and cast recordings (imo) by title.

I find it easier to browse this way too. When I want to hear a jazz album, I flip through jazz albums. There's a few cases where it doesn't work out, like I can never decide where Sinatra or early Dylan should go.

Once I alphabetized my records by label. Kinda dumb unless you're a distributor or something, but I only had about 100 then so it didn't matter.

For dealing with albums with split genres or multiple artists, I have a field in my spreadsheet program that I use to indicate where something is filed if it is not someplace intuitive (e.g., the filler piece on a classical album).

Jun 27, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 39
Mine are kind of by genre.
I have all my AC/DC albums together by date, then all my dark/black/extreme metal cds together. I have a section for early 60's and late 50's a spot for country, a section with punk and hard rock, a section for 70's and a section for 80's. Then there is that section for the ones I don't like.

Jun 27, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #22 of 39
For my English-language CDs, first by genre, then by artist in alphabetical order. For my Hong Kong pop CDs, by artists. Hi-Rez titles from the above 2 groups are separated from the "regular CDs".

Amazingly, 19 HK pop SACDs and only 6 English-language SACDs and 4 English-language DVD-As.

Jun 28, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 39
C'mon...No one followed Cusak's lead in High Fidelity and files 'em biographically?

Another odd way I've seen it done is by record lable (and this guy had a lot of music).

I do the alpha-by-genre, where the genres are Classical, Jazz, and Everything Else.

EDIT: When freshly filed, Classical goes alpha by composer, then type of work (e.g., Chamber Music, Concertos, Orchestral, Instrumental, Vocal, &c.), then chronologically (i.e., Opus #s).

Why I never put discs back in the proper place is beyond me? I end up with stacks and stacks of jewel cases piling-up and creating a fire-hazard.

Anyone have a good way to file when you have two composers, each with a comparable work, on one disc? So you can remember which disc the other piece is on... (And no, I'm not burning a second disc to have them under each composer.)
confused.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 39
I have very few actual CDs, only around 60 or 70 or so, and I generally try to group them by artist but not necessary in alphabetical order. Right now I have all my CDs in a large Fellowes CD wallet since I don't like handling the original jewel cases since many are too fragile. I don't really listen to the original CDs as much anymore since I rip them to my computer but I'll dig them out for transfering to MD or if I want to listen to them in the best quality. I am making CD-R's from the albums I get from Emusic since Emusic now uses --alt-preset-standard for most of their MP3's. I'm going to get some new jewel cases for a lot of my CDs and move them back in to their jewel cases and save the CD wallets for the CD-R's I'm making.

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 39
Genre then Group. I generally keep things this way, but they are actually kind of mixed up as I have about 200 CDs now and that makes it hard to organise. I am getting better as I go, but am still trying to figure it out. The hard part is now that I am used to the order they are in right now, making the "more organised" will make it harder to find.

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
as I have about 200 CDs now and that makes it hard to organise.

You have a headphone rig worth several thousand dollars...

... yet you only have 200 CDs?

You've got your priorities all mixed up, man.
rolleyes.gif

- Chris

Jun 29, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
You have a headphone rig worth several thousand dollars...

... yet you only have 200 CDs?

You've got your priorities all mixed up, man.
rolleyes.gif

- Chris

Yeah but he really enjoys those 200.

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #29 of 39
By order of purchase (most recent ones on top).

No, seriously, what is this "organize" of which you speak?

No, double-plus-seriously, I order them at a macroscopic level by genre, I.E. classical and pop/rock/jazz. Pop/rock/jazz is alphabetical by artist, then chronological within artist, with maybe some exceptions with the singles (they go...wherever..."order by whimsy") and compilations and re-pressings and remasterings.

Classical is ordered by composer, opus number within composer. If there are multiple pieces by multiple composers, I choose the one for which I purchased the recording (I.E. Bruch's violin concerto, even when it's paired with the Mendelssohn). Some exceptions (all the Rubinstein are together, because they look better that way.

Some exceptions: Fax and Rather Interesting... are by themselves, in order by serial number/release date/whatever, for obvious reasons. Box sets are on separate shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back