How do you organize albums/LP's/CD's
Aug 31, 2001 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hongda

100+ Head-Fier
How do you guys arrange your music collection? I'm around 200 and it takes me a few minutes to find the CD I want. How do you guys with larger collection handle everything?

Aug 31, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 19
CD Shelf...Sorted by genres, than alphabetical by artist/band.

Thinking about ditching the CD shelf and just getting a CD binder. Much easier to just buy another binder than another shelf. Course not as easy to resort additions to the collection as with a shelf.

With the CD shelf you just leave gaps in each sections for additions and hope it holds for awhile lol.

Aug 31, 2001 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 19
Mine are just on shelves, in no particular order. I just use photographic memory to find an album where I last saw it.

Aug 31, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 19
I am awaiting this cool IKEA (import - ooooohhhh) shelf; I will arrange my CDs by Genre, then artist, then title alphabetically.

Right now, it's genre - without a nice little stand/shelf thingie, they are just in a drawer in my desk - all 33 of them
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 19
i take all my best sounding cds and place them on the top shelf, with my mfsl and great remasters clumped together. the rest i just split between classical and rock.

Aug 31, 2001 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 19
CDs - lazy susan rack (4sides) that holds 200 and can be expanded to 400. Gospel on two sides, classical one, everything else on the other. Sorted alphabetically by artist except for classical which is sorted into 3 groups of collections, featured composer, or featured artist depending on the disk (basically determined by whomever's name appears largest or on the side).

Same sorting method for LPs: Genre (boxed sets on the ends) then alphabetically by artist (collections on the end, sorted by collection title) except for classical.

I also keep, next to the system, an old 5.25" floppy holder for the 10 or so CDs that are being rotated through the changer at the time. I am watching for something to do the same with lp's.

The several hundred tapes I still have were once sorted a long time ago, but are now an adventure waiting to happen each time I look for one..
confused.gif
.."hey, I remember this one!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 19
CDs - lazy susan rack (4sides) that holds 200 and can be expanded to 400. Gospel on two sides, classical one, everything else on the other. Sorted alphabetically by artist except for classical which is sorted into 3 groups of collections, featured composer, or featured artist depending on the disk (basically determined by whomever's name appears largest or on the side).

Same sorting method for LPs: Genre (boxed sets on the ends) then alphabetically by artist (collections on the end, sorted by collection title) except for classical.

I also keep, next to the system, an old 5.25" floppy holder for the 10 or so CDs that are being rotated through the changer at the time. I am watching for something to do the same with lp's.

The several hundred tapes I still have were once sorted a long time ago, but are now an adventure waiting to happen each time I look for one..
confused.gif
.."hey, I remember this one!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 19
I recently got two racks, real spiffy alu space-age looking, ech capable of holding 30 CDs. I got my prog and other much used CDs in one, the rest in the other. they can't hold double albums tho, so they lie on top of the stereo.

I'm only at 45 now I believe, but considering I was at about 25 eigth months ago, and ditched about 5 in the mean time, I'm not doing that bad
smily_headphones1.gif
got three new ones coming as well
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 19
Mine are just by genre, usually in Caselogic carrying cases.

Aug 31, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19
So you guys that just sort them by categories, do you guys usually look for individual albums, or just browse and pick up one to listen to? I'm finding that I want to find something, but usually come across something else I decide I want to listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 19
Since I've found some cables that are so perfectly musical, I don't need recordings anymore. I just interconnect my components and listen to the amazing soundstage.

Or so some would have us believe.

Actually, it goes by soudtracks (6), neoclassical (2), Continental (3), American (7), Australian (11), and British (90 or so).

Sep 1, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 19
coolvij, which IKEAs rack is that?

I use the ROBIN cd storage thingies, and been really pleased with them. Each holds 220 CDs and they look smart. interested to know what you went for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back